"LEARNING (NOT EARNING) HEAVEN," by Brad Wilcox, Deseret Book, $14.99, 45 minutes (nf)
While on an airplane flight, Trish Wilcox, Brad Wilcox's daughter-in-law, was asked by a man if she believed it was possible to earn her way to heaven.
"Absolutely not!" she replied, and her father-in-law was so proud.
The experience presented an opportunity for Brad Wilcox to discuss "Learning (Not Earning) Heaven" in a 45-minute talk on CD.
"Do you really believe you can earn your way to heaven?" Brad Wilcox answers, "Absolutely not! We are not paying our way into heaven. We are preparing for it."
Through simple yet powerful analogies and moving personal experiences, Wilcox reminds us that the miracle of the Atonement is that not only can we be cleansed and consoled, but we can be transformed.
"It's a lofty goal and a long and difficult process," Wilcox says. "When we get discouraged, it is easy to feel like giving up. But we can find renewed motivation when we feel God's love and power. Keep trying. Keep practicing. It will be worth it — not because we are earning a treasure in heaven, but because we are learning to treasure heavenly things."
Wilcox is an associate professor of education at Brigham Young University and currently serves as a member of the LDS Church's Sunday School general board.
"Learning (Not Earning) Heaven" ($14.99) is available wherever LDS books are sold.
Email: firstname.lastname@example.org Twitter: tbtoone
- Utah company films aerial video of renovated...
- Demand for Ogden Temple open house tickets...
- Katie Couric interviews Mormon mom from Cute...
- First two stakes mark milestone as LDS Church...
- 10 reasons a traditional marriage is better...
- The IRS agrees to investigate churches that...
- Defending the Faith: But what of those who...
- When Mormon pioneers left was often a...
- When Mormon pioneers left was often a... 27
- The IRS agrees to investigate churches... 20
- Defending the Faith: But what of those... 20
- Provo's waffle truck started by a... 19
- 10 reasons a traditional marriage is... 18
- Demand for Ogden Temple open house... 9
- First two stakes mark milestone as LDS... 8
- New features at Ogden Temple reception... 6