MURRAY — Charges have been filed in a fatal Murray shooting that police believe was gang-related.
Jonas Rodriguez Perez, 28, was charged in 3rd District Court with murder, a first-degree felony, discharge of a weapon and possession of a dangerous weapon by a restricted person, both second-degree felonies. Perez is accused of killing Alvert John Mike, 21, at a party on May 19.
According to the charges, a house party was being held earlier that night at 6613 S. 630 West and a number of Surenos gang members were present. At some point, a group of rival Nortenos gang members arrived, including Mike.
"A short time later, Mike began to throw gang signs and argue with the defendant Jonas Rodriguez Perez, a known Surenos associate, inside the garage," the charges state. "Witnesses stated the argument was gang-related."
Mike left the garage only to return with a log, prompting Perez to pull out a gun and shoot into the garage floor, the charges state. Perez then allegedly began to chase Mike down the street. Witnesses described Mike yelling at Perez and other Surenos gang members before hearing gunshots.
Witnesses said Perez was still holding the gun, the charges state. Neighbors who heard the gunshots called 911. Officers arrived soon after and found Mike in the grass with a gunshot wound to the chest.
Porfirio Perez Saligan, 23, told police he drove Perez to the party and was Perez's getaway driver after the shooting, the charges state. Saligan was charged with obstruction of justice, a second-degree felony.
Both men will appear in court July 2.
- BYU Museum of Art acquires previously lost...
- Security, authorities detain woman...
- Heavy rains in Utah fail to wash away drought
- Salt Lake Olympic scandal 'set a precedent'...
- 5 Browns sisters to promote bill on statute...
- Police: More than 100 Sanpete County homes...
- 'I just can't say 'I'm sorry' enough': Woman...
- Chopper pilot set to retire after 46 years,...
- Gov. Herbert stepping up pressure on... 44
- Utahns cheer, jeer appeals court's... 39
- Utah Attorney General's office moves to... 22
- Conservative group yanks TV ads... 17
- Parents of teen who died in overdose... 16
- Mayor responds to pending harassment... 14
- PacSun pulls T-shirt from shelves after... 14
- Salt Lake City leaders announce... 14