MURRAY — Charges have been filed in a fatal Murray shooting that police believe was gang-related.
Jonas Rodriguez Perez, 28, was charged in 3rd District Court with murder, a first-degree felony, discharge of a weapon and possession of a dangerous weapon by a restricted person, both second-degree felonies. Perez is accused of killing Alvert John Mike, 21, at a party on May 19.
According to the charges, a house party was being held earlier that night at 6613 S. 630 West and a number of Surenos gang members were present. At some point, a group of rival Nortenos gang members arrived, including Mike.
"A short time later, Mike began to throw gang signs and argue with the defendant Jonas Rodriguez Perez, a known Surenos associate, inside the garage," the charges state. "Witnesses stated the argument was gang-related."
Mike left the garage only to return with a log, prompting Perez to pull out a gun and shoot into the garage floor, the charges state. Perez then allegedly began to chase Mike down the street. Witnesses described Mike yelling at Perez and other Surenos gang members before hearing gunshots.
Witnesses said Perez was still holding the gun, the charges state. Neighbors who heard the gunshots called 911. Officers arrived soon after and found Mike in the grass with a gunshot wound to the chest.
Porfirio Perez Saligan, 23, told police he drove Perez to the party and was Perez's getaway driver after the shooting, the charges state. Saligan was charged with obstruction of justice, a second-degree felony.
Both men will appear in court July 2.
- LDS missionaries developing strategies to...
- Snow wreaks havoc across state, curbs travel...
- Police officer suicide needs to be addressed,...
- System failure to blame for delayed Saturday...
- Charges: Magna mom got 13-year-old son drunk
- Families face uncertainty, unite in prayer as...
- John Swallow lost computer hard drive on...
- Families celebrate Christmas traditions as...
- Utah judge could be first to rule on... 111
- LDS missionaries developing strategies... 50
- Federal website fixes allowing more... 44
- Tea Party Express endorses Sen. Mike... 27
- As winter takes hold, needs increase... 27
- Seeing is believing: Doctor, family say... 26
- Utahns react to death of Nelson Mandela 26
- Gov. Gary Herbert unveils $13.3 billion... 18