USU basketball: Cristal Turner joins Utah State women’s basketball team
Utah State head women’s basketball coach Jerry Finkbeiner announced Thursday Cristal Turner will transfer to USU from Oral Roberts.
Turner, who is a 6-foot-2 forward, played for Finkbeiner her freshman and sophomore seasons at ORU before suffering knee injuries in back-to-back seasons. As a freshman, she played in all 30 games, starting 14. She was solid from beyond the arc, ending the season shooting over 38 percent from three-point range. As a sophomore, Turner played in 32 games for the Golden Eagles. She led the team in blocked shots with 14.
She attended Maidstone Grammar School prior to Oral Roberts. She was part of the 18-Under 2007 European Championship team and competed in England’s 20-Under team in 2008. Turner played club basketball for the Sevenoaks Suns and was named the England Basketball League Division II South Player of the Year 2007-08. She helped lead the Suns to National Trophy wins in 2006-07 and 2007-08.
Turner graduated from Oral Roberts with a degree in international business this May and will be pursuing her master’s at USU.
Her mother, Radmila, played basketball for Bulgaria in the 1988 Olympics and is known as one of the top European basketball players in the last 50 years.
Utah State has already signed five players for the 2012-13 season. Haylee Thompson, a 6-0 forward from Hailey, Idaho, will be a freshman next season. Makenlee Williams, a 5-foot-11 forward/guard, from Syracuse, Utah, will also be a freshman. The Aggies also added Stephanie Bairstow, a 6-foot-1 forward from Brisbane, Australia. Junior transfers Kelsey Corcoran and Jasmine Porter will become Aggies this season as well.
Complete 2011-12 Utah State Women’s Basketball Signing Class
Stephanie Bairstow, 6-1, F, Brisbane, Queensland, Australia (Mansfield State HS)
Kelsey Corcoran, 6-2, F, Middletown, Va. (The Miller School/Winthrop)*
Jasmine Porter, 6-1, F, Layton, Utah (Layton Christian Academy/San Diego State)*
Haylee Thompson, 6-0, F, Hailey, Idaho (Wood River HS)
Cristal Turner, 6-2, F, Scunthorpe, England (Maidstone Grammar School/Oral Roberts)
Makenlee Williams, 5-11, F/G, Syracuse, Utah (Syracuse HS)
*Will sit out the 2012-13 season due to NCAA transfer rules
Doug Hoffman is the assistant athletic director for Utah State University Athletic Media Relations.
- Utah Jazz: No lottery luck, so Jazz remain in...
- High school boys soccer: Lehi edges...
- Results from Tuesday's high school softball,...
- BYU football: Fan-developed software gives...
- BYU basketball: Dave Rose hoping Tyler Haws'...
- The offseason status of NFL players with Utah...
- Doug Robinson: It's about time golf took a...
- Utah high school updated tournament pairings...
- High school baseball: 5A, 4A state... 56
- Bodyguards allegedly beat up 2 fans who... 19
- Utah Jazz: No lottery luck, so Jazz... 17
- Dick Harmon: BYU coach Mike Littlewood... 15
- Utah State football: New coach Matt... 11
- If hired, Jeff Hornacek will face same... 10
- BYU football: Fan-developed software... 8
- Former Jazzman Thurl Bailey named... 7