Oprah's Book Club leading to an overall decrease in book sales, study claims
Having a novel endorsed by Oprah's Book Club is akin to winning the lottery for many authors. Indeed, Oprah's recommendations have turned obscure titles into bestsellers.
For example "Anna Karenina," Leo Tolstoy's tragic 19th-century love story, hit No. 1 on USA Today's Best-Selling Books list after Winfrey embraced it.
Similarly her endorsement of "Say You're Not One of Them," a collection of short stories by Uwem Akpan about Africa, boosted his book to No. 9 on USA Today's list. The publisher reports that there were just 77,000 copies of the novel in print when Winfrey selected it, so an additional 780,000 copies were reprinted to meet the demand, according to USA Today.
Now that her show is off the air, Oprah continues her book club via her website. However, new research suggests that Oprah's book club has done little to buoy literature or reading in the public at large.
While Winfrey's endorsements increased sales of favored titles, they caused a decrease in sales for the book industry as a whole, according to a 2012 study by Craig Garthwaite, an economist at the Kellogg School of Management. He found that on average in the 12 weeks following an endorsement, "weekly adult fiction book sales decreased by a statistically significant 2.5 percent."
Garthewaite postulates that this shrinkage occurs because Oprah's selections tend to be longer and more difficult classics that require more time and energy to read. As a consequence people reading Oprah's books don't buy their usual fare or quantity of books.
- 10 things to know before going to Salt Lake...
- Sutton Foster promises 'an intimate look at...
- Ben Barnes, Katherine Heigl in tune in...
- 'Guardians' stays atop cinemas amid worst...
- 5 takeaways from a punch-less summer box office
- 10 celebrity couples who have made marriage work
- For gamers, combating online abuse not easy
- Ron Perlman added to Salt Lake Comic Con...
- Jim Bennett: The ALS Ice Bucket... 8
- Getting ready for Salt Lake Comic Con:... 4
- Angelina Jolie, Brad Pitt wed privately... 3
- Linda & Richard Eyre: How media could... 3
- Fallon to lead honors as Leno wins top... 2
- 'Guardians' stays atop cinemas amid... 1
- 10 things to know before going to Salt... 1
- 13 ways Disney could use drones at its... 1