Utah attorney general GOP candidates Sean Reyes, John Swallow engaged in nasty battle
Reyes said there's no good reason to move consumer protection. He said the only reason someone would want to do that is to concentrate and consolidate power. "I'm leery when there's not checks and balances," he said.
On illegal immigration, both candidates say they would take a different approach than Shurtleff, who takes a moderate approach to the issue.
Swallow said he would not be as public as his boss. Immigration, he said, is a policy issue for the governor and Legislature, while the attorney general has a lesser role. If there are laws he wants to promote, Swallow said he would do it from behind the scenes.
Reyes said he would be "stronger" than Shurtleff on illegal immigration matters, particularly when it comes to identity theft and identity fraud, which he said needs to be prosecuted more.
Swallow and Reyes bring different backgrounds to the office. Swallow spent part of his childhood on an alfalfa farm outside Ely, Nev. His father died when he was young. Reyes grew in Southern California where his part Spanish, part Filipino father immigrated from the Philippines.
Both candidates earned undergraduate degrees from Brigham Young University. Swallow obtained his law degree at BYU, while Reyes got his at UC Berkeley. Swallow worked as commercial litigator, corporate attorney and lobbyist. He served three terms in the Utah Legislature and made two unsuccessful bids for Congress. Reyes worked as a litigator and is currently a corporate attorney. This is his first run for public office.
- British judge hears arguments in case LDS...
- Utah prosecutors forward allegations against...
- LDS missionary from Utah dies in Micronesia
- Why Syracuse mom killed her 2 daughters still...
- Parties have now finalized arguments in...
- Looking for the perfect Pi Day pie? Here are...
- Body found near Big Cottonwood Canyon
- BYU chemist makes breakthrough discovery on...
- Utah recognition of same-sex marriage... 72
- LDS missionary from Utah dies in... 41
- Cyclists killed in early morning crash... 35
- British judge hears arguments in case... 34
- House report: John Swallow hung 'for... 32
- Utah prosecutors forward allegations... 32
- BYU chemist makes breakthrough... 29
- New BYU president: Kevin Worthen to... 28