BYU football: 11 incoming freshmen have arrived on campus
Williams, who is fresh off his 17th birthday, said goodbye to his mother and sister over the weekend with a lot of promise ahead of him. Adjusting to BYU and its football program is a challenge for anyone, but considering Williams’ age and that he’s not LDS, his adjustment could be assumed to be even a greater challenge.
“I just have to keep in mind the great opportunity I have ahead of me and stay humble,” said Williams. “I’ve been around BYU and BYU coaches enough to know that it’s where I need to be. I know I’m going to have challenges, but that’s why I need to keep my mind right and just stay humble and grateful for the chance to be (at BYU.)”
Williams will soon be competing with up-and-coming running back talent such as Michael Alisa, Adam Hine and Paul Lasike, among others, in what will be one of August’s featured position battles.
Williams, like Pau’u, understands that it’s what he’s yet to do and not what he’s done that will earn him a spot.
“I have to learn as much as I can from everyone and work harder than I ever have in my life,” said Williams. “I expect a lot from myself and it starts now.”
Incoming freshmen will begin practicing with coaches during the first week of August.
Tofi Taumata , 6-3, 270 DL, Perris, Calif.
Theodore King, 6-3, 250 DL, San Jose, Calif.
Jamaal Williams, 6-2, 185 RB, Fontana, Calif.
Jherremya Leuta-Douyere, 6-0, 240 OLB/DL, Anaheim, Calif.
Butch Pau’u, 5-11, 220 ILB, Anaheim, Calif.
Micah Hannemann, 6-1, 185 DB, Alpine, Utah (grayshirt)
Austin Hoyt, 6-7, 270 OL, Jackson, Calif.
Dylan Collie, 5-10.5, 200 WR, El Dorado Hills, Calif.
Tanner Mangum, 6-3, 185 QB, Eagle, Idaho
Rhett Sandlin, 6-3, 225 LB, Sandy, Utah
Matt Hadley, 5-11, 190 DB, Connell, Wash.
- Dick Harmon: Dick Harmon: Tanner Mangum is...
- For now, odds are '50-50' that BYU ends up in...
- Morning links: Examining Utah's bowl...
- MWC commissioner says it's probable BYU...
- Jimmer Fredette has BYU-esque performance in...
- After years of working and dreaming, BYU...
- About Utah: A big deal just got bigger
- Jazz lose 106-103 heartbreaker to the...
- Utes outlast Colorado to cap best... 110
- College Football: Utah moves back into... 71
- Morning links: Examining Utah's bowl... 67
- BYU's big plays, big second half, spell... 47
- For now, odds are '50-50' that BYU ends... 45
- Dick Harmon: After tossing 4 TDs, BYU's... 39
- BYU basketball: Collinsworth sets NCAA... 37
- Brad Rock: Utes need bowl win to avoid... 36