BYU football: 11 incoming freshmen have arrived on campus
Williams, who is fresh off his 17th birthday, said goodbye to his mother and sister over the weekend with a lot of promise ahead of him. Adjusting to BYU and its football program is a challenge for anyone, but considering Williams’ age and that he’s not LDS, his adjustment could be assumed to be even a greater challenge.
“I just have to keep in mind the great opportunity I have ahead of me and stay humble,” said Williams. “I’ve been around BYU and BYU coaches enough to know that it’s where I need to be. I know I’m going to have challenges, but that’s why I need to keep my mind right and just stay humble and grateful for the chance to be (at BYU.)”
Williams will soon be competing with up-and-coming running back talent such as Michael Alisa, Adam Hine and Paul Lasike, among others, in what will be one of August’s featured position battles.
Williams, like Pau’u, understands that it’s what he’s yet to do and not what he’s done that will earn him a spot.
“I have to learn as much as I can from everyone and work harder than I ever have in my life,” said Williams. “I expect a lot from myself and it starts now.”
Incoming freshmen will begin practicing with coaches during the first week of August.
Tofi Taumata , 6-3, 270 DL, Perris, Calif.
Theodore King, 6-3, 250 DL, San Jose, Calif.
Jamaal Williams, 6-2, 185 RB, Fontana, Calif.
Jherremya Leuta-Douyere, 6-0, 240 OLB/DL, Anaheim, Calif.
Butch Pau’u, 5-11, 220 ILB, Anaheim, Calif.
Micah Hannemann, 6-1, 185 DB, Alpine, Utah (grayshirt)
Austin Hoyt, 6-7, 270 OL, Jackson, Calif.
Dylan Collie, 5-10.5, 200 WR, El Dorado Hills, Calif.
Tanner Mangum, 6-3, 185 QB, Eagle, Idaho
Rhett Sandlin, 6-3, 225 LB, Sandy, Utah
Matt Hadley, 5-11, 190 DB, Connell, Wash.
- Former BYU running back Luke Staley paying a...
- Morning links: Bronson Kaufusi could be on...
- Dick Harmon: Sitake is taking advantage of...
- Free agent roundup: Where local prospects are...
- For some Jazz players, their future is up in...
- Utah State football: Offensive lineman Tyshon...
- 41-year-old mom looking to join U.S. team,...
- Local flavor in the NBA (and beyond): Lillard...
- Former BYU running back Luke Staley... 116
- Big 12 would be better off expanding,... 85
- Going the distance: BYU, Big 12 aren't... 69
- Dick Harmon: Big 12 expansion probable... 60
- Former BYU quarterback Jake Heaps signs... 35
- Report: Utah's Poeltl, Weber State's... 28
- Dick Harmon: SUU, Kaufusi big winners... 27
- Utah baseball team surprisingly leads... 24