PROVO — Crews responded Friday to a 150-acre fire on the west side of Utah Lake.
Jason Curry of the Division of Forestry, Fire and State Lands said the fire started at 2:45 p.m. near mile marker 21 on Redwood Road. A portion of the road was closed for approximately 4 hours Friday.
Witnesses heard gunfire and an explosion and saw a group of individuals leaving the area where the fire started. Curry said the official cause of the fire is still under investigation, but authorities are interviewing witnesses and gunfire is one of the possible causes they are looking into.
Strong winds contributed to the growth of the fire, but Curry said no structures were threatened.
More information will be provided as it becomes available.
- Man accused of killing UTA worker dies in prison
- Women underrepresented across Utah's...
- Mike Lee, US Senate to hold monument meeting...
- 7 tips for summer travel while pregnant
- Photo gallery: Deseret News Classic 5K
- Ogden man dies following U.S. 89 motorcycle...
- First-timers and veterans among thousands to...
- Man charged with murdering UTA worker found...
- If Mitt Romney endorsed Gary Johnson,... 69
- Planned Parenthood 'CTR' campaign draws... 64
- New rule sparks debate over teacher... 48
- Utah Democrat: Kaine 'kind of person we... 24
- Sanders urges Utah and other... 24
- San Juan County residents say 'doodah'... 21
- Shurtleff exonerated, but questions and... 18
- Utah Democrats see opportunity in... 17