Kristin Murphy, Deseret News
SALT LAKE CITY — Taking in Salt Lake's premier tourist attractions will be a bit easier now that visitors to Utah's capital city can board the "Big Bus."
The new open air, hop-on, hop-off sightseeing tour bus will operate daily from 9 a.m. to 5:30 p.m. starting from just outside the Visit Salt Lake Welcome Center at 90 S. West Temple at the Salt Palace Convention Center. Tours will last about 90 minutes with 19 stops.
Initially, buses will operate every 45 minutes, but the frequency could increase as demand grows, said Jerry Dolejs, owner of Big Bus Utah — which operates a similar tour bus in Victoria, Canada..
Tickets can be purchased for one-day or two-day increments online or at the visitor information center at the Salt Palace Convention Center. Adult fares range from $31 for a one-day pass, and $35 for a two-day pass. Family passes — good for two adults and all kids under 12 years old — can be purchased for $70 or $80 for one or two days respectively.
Fares for seniors and students are $27 for one-day passes and $29 for two-days, while children 3 to 12 years old pay $15 and $17 respectively for one-day and two-day passes. Kids under 3 ride free.
"Anyone who buys a two-day pass online will automatically get a third day for free," Dolejs said.
Big Bus Utah tickets can be used as a companion to the Visit Salt Lake Connect Pass, which allows admission to local attractions. The bus accommodates 10 of the 13 attractions accessed through the Connect Pass, Dolejs explained.
Depending upon demand, the Big Bus could operate year-round.
"We heartily welcome Big Bus Utah as one of our hottest new tourism offerings," said Visit Salt Lake President and CEO Scott Beck.
For more information, visit Utah.BigBusInternational.com.
Big Bus Utah tour stops
1. Welcome Center at Salt Palace Convention Center, 90 S. West Temple
2. Lion House*
3. Temple Square (west)
4. Council Hall
5. North Capitol Hill
6. Temple Square (east)
7. Cathedral of the Madeleine
8. Governor's Mansion
9. Rice-Eccles Stadium
10. Utah Museum of Fine Arts*
11. Fort Douglas Military Museum
12. Natural History Museum of Utah*/Red Butte Garden*
13. This Is The Place Heritage Park*
14. Hogle Zoo*
15. Tracy Aviary*
16. Trolley Square
17. The Leonardo*/Library Square
18. City Creek Center
19. The Gateway*/Clark Planetarium*
* Denotes Visit Salt Lake Connect Pass attractions
- Lehi-based Vivint debuts innovation facility
- Lower gas prices could mean economic impact...
- CVS tacks tobacco payment to prescription...
- Dave Ramsey says: Keep expectations clear...
- Egg freezing is now a perk of the workplace....
- Support for statewide nondiscrimination law...
- UTA seeks to hire bus drivers, other workers
- Q&A: Journalist Dan Rather speaks on courage...
- Housing recovery slowest since World... 12
- Support for statewide nondiscrimination... 7
- Customer decline hits McDonald's sales,... 3
- Lower gas prices could mean economic... 3
- Egg freezing is now a perk of the... 3
- Another year, another small Social... 2
- Federal Reserve Chair Janet Yellen says... 1
- Utah jobless rate stays steady at 3.5... 1