"ALL ME, ALL THE TIME: The Authorized Art-o-Biography," by Karla Oceanak and Kendra Spanjer, Baliwick Press, $7.95, 80 pages (ages 6 and up)
There are a wide variety of activity books on the market for children: puzzles, craft books, do-it-yourself projects, games and interactional science and math activities. Adding to the Aldo Zelnick comic novel series, Karla Oceanak and Kendra Spanjer designed 78 pages for a fill-in-the-blank biography that includes spaces for sketching, cut-outs, recording and designing a person’s own identity.
What sets “All Me, All the Time” apart from other all-about-me type books is the wide range of suggestions beyond “me and my family,” which makes up the usual biography. “Here’s all the stuff that’s under or behind my bed” is one example that will cause some exploring and giggles as well as all the “what ifs” (“when I’m president” or “if I could get out of doing one thing for the rest of my life, I’d pick ”).
Recording traveling experiences will be fun, as will the art pages of mixing colors and trying art techniques. A bucket list (“things to do while I’m still a kid”) and a letter to a “future me” will take some thinking and planning.
“All Me, All the Time” could be the solution for bored summer days or activities for family travel.
If you go ...
What: Creative workshop with Karla Oceanak and Kendra Spanjer for children 6 to 12
When: Saturday, June 30, 2 p.m.
Where: The King's English, 1511 S. 1500 East, Salt Lake City
Note: Workshop is free and art supplies are provided. Each child will need their own copy of "All Me, All the Time."
- Man without arms and legs has a message about...
- 'Hercules' is a wasted opportunity for The Rock
- James Garner was a singular talent with his...
- Donny Osmond releases app to promote upcoming...
- Carmen Rasmusen Herbert: Reba McEntire asks...
- Pioneer panorama arrives in the Salt Lake Valley
- Students write, stage and perform an opera...
- Disney moves toward $10 hourly starting pay...
- Carmen Rasmusen Herbert: Reba McEntire... 10
- Man without arms and legs has a message... 4
- Joseph Cramer, M.D.: You're not in... 2
- Pioneer Day celebrations set throughout... 2
- 'Hercules' is a wasted opportunity for... 2
- Disney moves toward $10 hourly starting... 1
- Here's how violent, graphic and scary... 1
- 11 cartoon characters who buck stereotypes 1