Jae C. Hong, file, Associated Press
Mitt Romney’s six-state bus tour will roll through Wisconsin on Sunday, where Republican morale is high after Gov. Scott Walker survived a recall election earlier this month.
“(Walker’s victory) was seen as laying the groundwork for Romney to take a state that has not gone for a Republican presidential candidate since 1984,” Reuters reported Friday. “Walker's win also showed what it takes to unite today's fractious Republican Party, conservative insurgent tea party activists and deep-pocketed donors: a champion (Walker), a common cause (fiscal conservatism) and a common enemy (unions).”
On Thursday, CBS News’ Scott Conroy detailed why the nation will be closely monitoring Romney’s appearance with Rep. Paul Ryan this weekend in Ryan’s hometown of Janesville, Wis.
“Romney's visit to the Wisconsin's 1st Congressional District, which Ryan represents, will come less than two weeks after Gov. Scott Walker retained his position in a failed recall election — a result that galvanized Republicans in the state. The campaign appearance with the House Budget Committee chairman, a popular and influential figure among economic conservatives, will no doubt spark increased chatter about the possibility of the seven-term lawmaker joining the Republican ticket.”
During an appearance Thursday in Washington, D.C., Gov. Walker elucidated his belief that Ryan is the best potential running mate for Romney.
"I'm biased for Paul," Walker told The Hill blog. "If you believe that the fiscal crisis facing our country is clearly one of our top challenges, I don't know of anybody, at least in this town, who's better equipped to help you deal with that — not just because of his plan but because he understands the dynamics. I think he's got credible respect on both sides of the aisle. I think there's tremendous value to Paul."
- No national launch for Draft Mitt effort
- NTSB: Plane that crashed in Arizona killing...
- Sex education should start sooner, study finds
- Israel vows to destroy Hamas tunnels, with or...
- Sorting out the claims after pipe break: Who...
- Witnesses at Utah trial: No security-camera...
- The creepiest Internet-related happenings of...
- The Great War: 100 photos marking 100 years...
- US Court: Virginia marriage is for all... 53
- Obama to GOP: 'Stop just hating all the... 47
- No national launch for Draft Mitt effort 44
- GOP-led House ready to OK lawsuit... 37
- GOP: Lois Lerner's IRS emails show bias... 30
- Most Americans believe the U.S. should... 28
- House leaders abandon border bill 25
- GOP-led House approves lawsuit against... 15