Hatch, Liljenquist trade heated barbs in morning debate
"Frankly, no," Hatch replied. "I led the fight against the debt from day one. And I'm offended that you keep bringing it up like I'm responsible for all the things that are wrong in America. How about the things that are right, Dan. Am I responsible for those, too?"
Liljenquist was incredulous.
"That answer is absolutely remarkable," he said. "We’ve had a generation of people back there who will not take a single shred of responsibility for a single vote, even though they have voted much of the time to spend money we did not have."
Hatch complained that it has been difficult to fight federal spending because in the Senate "we’ve been in the minority the whole time I’ve been there."
"That is simply not true," Liljenquist said.
"Sure is," Hatch replied.
Liljenquist pointed out that Republicans held majorities in the Senate and House when George W. Bush was president.
The challenger also went after Hatch for saying he saves Hill Air Force Base year after year from losing jobs or being relocated, calling it the "politics of fear."
"To suggest that one man, Orrin Hatch, stands between Hill Air Force Base and oblivion is ridiculous," he said.
Hatch said Liljenquist doesn't know what he's talking about. Hill, he said, is targeted every year and he said that he and former Sen. Jake Garn and former Rep. Jim Hansen always had to fight for it. "I don't believe it's all me," he said.
The winner of the June 26 GOP primary will face Democrat Scott Howell, a former state senator, in the November general election.
- Idea for Burt's Bees land to become park...
- Top 7 money-saving tips for summer travel
- South Jordan mother spends days caring for...
- Repo man charged with manslaughter in...
- Report: Tourism spending in Utah grew to...
- Herbert appoints new 3rd District Court judge
- Polygamous food stamp fraud trial pushed back...
- Bomb threats called in to 2 Utah schools
- Are Utahns tiring of Mitt Romney... 106
- Utah and 10 states sue Obama... 40
- Teacher on leave after telling students... 33
- Hatch steadfast in holding up Supreme... 17
- Skateboarder dies after being shot in... 10
- Utah lawsuit challenges porn filter fees 9
- Salt Lake's next skyscraper? Proposed... 9
- IRS scam goes far beyond a phone call... 8