Courtesy of the Osmond Brothers
WEST JORDAN — The four eldest Osmonds will join their brothers at a concert June 16 at the West Jordan Rodeo Arena, bringing all eight brothers together in an effort to raise money for the Olive Osmond Perpetual Hearing Fund, a nonprofit organization dedicated to raising hearing health awareness and help people with hearing loss worldwide.
The Osmond Brothers have been working together for more than 50 years, lead singer Merrill Osmond said. This concert will be extra special because of the presence of all the brothers and the Osmond Second Generation, which will perform a 30-minute preshow.
"There's going to be a lot of Osmonds there that night," Merrill Osmond said. "We're going to have Alan Osmond come on stage, who had to step down (from the group) because of multiple sclerosis, and Wayne Osmond, who just had a stroke. We will also introduce (Virl and Tom), who you don't see too often, and I've talked to brother Donny, so we will have all the Osmond brothers there on stage."
Osmond's two oldest brothers, Virl and Tom, were born deaf. Their mother, Olive, admitted feeling lost when she first learned they were deaf because of the lack of resources for parents of the deaf available at that time. Despite the challenges, she drew strength from her trust and faith in God and "reared her sons to be strong and independent," according to oliveosmond.org.
Later, Olive created the Osmond Foundation to spread hearing health awareness and address the needs of people living with hearing loss. The foundation later evolved into the Children's Miracle Network.
"The real story of how the Osmonds got started is not jumping down to Walt Disney to promote ourselves, but earning money to buy hearing aids," Osmond said.
Merrill Osmond's son Justin inherited the deaf gene and was born with 90 percent hearing loss. Justin set up the Olive Osmond Perpetual Hearing Fund, named in honor of his late grandmother. Proceeds from the Osmond concert will be donated to the fund.
This will be the first time since 1997 that the Osmond Second Generation has performed alongside the original Osmond Brothers.
What: The Osmond Brothers Concert
When: June 16, 8 p.m.
Where: West Jordan Rodeo Arena
How much: $10-$20
- Trump takes time from victory lap to swat at...
- Warner Bros. calms fans with fun 'Justice...
- A title and ship for new 'Star Trek' series:...
- New artificial reef is sunk off Florida's...
- Police: Munich suspect was obsessed with mass...
- Brie Larson confirmed as 'Captain Marvel'
- Ken Griffey Jr. and Mike Piazza inducted into...
- Larry Stone: Ken Griffey Jr.’s...
- Erin Stewart: Should you teach your... 19
- Trump takes time from victory lap to... 14
- After disputes, Dem stars turn their... 14
- Police: Munich suspect was obsessed... 5
- Germany: Syrian asylum seekers blows... 3
- Verizon buys Yahoo for $4.83B, marking... 3
- Larry Stone: Ken Griffey Jr.’s... 2
- The tiny town that set out to be Utah's... 2