Forcing some European fathers to sleep on boxes and others to hide their names in shame, the economic crisis in Europe continues to have increasingly tangible effects on divorced or separated fathers and their families, according to a recent New York Times article.
"For some separated fathers, the burdens become unbearable as they find themselves jobless or unable to make ends meet as their children, facing grim economic prospects themselves, remain dependent on family support into adulthood," Elisabetta Povoledo of the New York Times reported.
The article describes several stories from fathers who are homeless or severely depleted economically. They have trouble supporting themselves, let alone a family.
Italy is a country where this problem is rampant, and the problem may be that changes in legislation are not coinciding effectively with changes in European and Italian society, according to the article.
"Separations and divorces have steadily risen in this traditionally Roman Catholic country since divorce was legalized in 1970," Povoledo reported. "In 1995, 158 of every 1,000 marriages ended in separation, and 80 out of 1,000 in divorce. In 2009, the last year for which statistics are available, the numbers had reached 297 separations and 181 divorces per thousand, according to Istat, the national statistics agency."
- 'Unbroken' faith: The religious journey of...
- 29 of the best Christmas movie quotes
- Bittersweet Christmas: A woman ponders the...
- 'American Idol' alum Brooke White creates...
- The 37 most charitable celebrities
- 4 interactive ways to teach your kids about...
- Over and out: TV flops, exits and endings in...
- Christmas 1914: The day even WWI showed humanity
- Chris Hicks: Has Hollywood found new... 16
- 'Unbroken' faith: The religious journey... 7
- Black Captain America leading comic... 6
- What did Utahns search for in 2014?... 6
- 'Five Armies' brings the Hobbit trilogy... 4
- School lunch 'blech' factor may go down... 3
- Why you should think twice before... 3
- Want a smart kid? Stay away from these... 2