Forcing some European fathers to sleep on boxes and others to hide their names in shame, the economic crisis in Europe continues to have increasingly tangible effects on divorced or separated fathers and their families, according to a recent New York Times article.
"For some separated fathers, the burdens become unbearable as they find themselves jobless or unable to make ends meet as their children, facing grim economic prospects themselves, remain dependent on family support into adulthood," Elisabetta Povoledo of the New York Times reported.
The article describes several stories from fathers who are homeless or severely depleted economically. They have trouble supporting themselves, let alone a family.
Italy is a country where this problem is rampant, and the problem may be that changes in legislation are not coinciding effectively with changes in European and Italian society, according to the article.
"Separations and divorces have steadily risen in this traditionally Roman Catholic country since divorce was legalized in 1970," Povoledo reported. "In 1995, 158 of every 1,000 marriages ended in separation, and 80 out of 1,000 in divorce. In 2009, the last year for which statistics are available, the numbers had reached 297 separations and 181 divorces per thousand, according to Istat, the national statistics agency."
- 33 things I want my sons to know
- In music video, boy band tells Provo women...
- Ballet to Broadway: Two Utah-native siblings...
- Supporters for traditional marriage focus on...
- 25 ways I know my husband loves me
- 'The Voice' returns Monday with Pharrell,...
- Mom battling cancer determined to live for...
- Character counts, but politics, gender and...
- Supporters for traditional marriage... 156
- Linda & Richard Eyre: If we lose... 45
- Experts debate whether marriage is... 30
- Character counts, but politics, gender... 28
- Striking or spanking a child is not a... 19
- Yellen says US families need to boost... 10
- 'Duck Dynasty' dad approves of... 6
- Why do Elsa's and Anna's parents have... 6