Forcing some European fathers to sleep on boxes and others to hide their names in shame, the economic crisis in Europe continues to have increasingly tangible effects on divorced or separated fathers and their families, according to a recent New York Times article.
"For some separated fathers, the burdens become unbearable as they find themselves jobless or unable to make ends meet as their children, facing grim economic prospects themselves, remain dependent on family support into adulthood," Elisabetta Povoledo of the New York Times reported.
The article describes several stories from fathers who are homeless or severely depleted economically. They have trouble supporting themselves, let alone a family.
Italy is a country where this problem is rampant, and the problem may be that changes in legislation are not coinciding effectively with changes in European and Italian society, according to the article.
"Separations and divorces have steadily risen in this traditionally Roman Catholic country since divorce was legalized in 1970," Povoledo reported. "In 1995, 158 of every 1,000 marriages ended in separation, and 80 out of 1,000 in divorce. In 2009, the last year for which statistics are available, the numbers had reached 297 separations and 181 divorces per thousand, according to Istat, the national statistics agency."
- When Satan steals your motherhood
- Lehi airman pulls off 'Operation Surprise'...
- Dad tires of hearing hit 'Frozen' song,...
- How new research on chemicals in household...
- Instead of 'Game of Thrones,' there are...
- Kids are still reading 'Calvin and Hobbes'
- Doug Robinson: Reuniting families — One...
- 14-year-old boy is losing his sight but sees...
- When Satan steals your motherhood 44
- Girls who play with Barbie may not see... 13
- Linda & Richard Eyre: Our love-hate... 12
- The rough road of single motherhood... 11
- Instead of 'Game of Thrones,' there are... 11
- 'Pay the price or go dark': Going... 9
- Lehi airman pulls off 'Operation... 8
- Dad tires of hearing hit 'Frozen' song,... 7