“Some people say that teacher unions are a stumbling block to school reform. Others say that unions fight for better schools and better teachers. What do you think? Do you think teacher unions have a generally positive effect on schools, or do you think they have a generally negative effect?”
Participants were asked to choose one of five responses: very positive, somewhat positive, neither positive nor negative, somewhat negative, and very negative.
The results are dramatic. Only 22 percent of the public has a very positive positive view of unions in 2012, down from 29 percent in 2011. More striking, only 43 percent of teachers have a very positive view, down from 58 percent the year before. Teachers holding a negative view nearly doubled to 32 percent from 17 percent in 2011.
Researchers also found that when participants were given only two choices on their assessment of union impact, 71 percent of teachers said unions had a positive impact. However, the public split down the middle on the either/or option: 51 percent said unions had a negative impact, while 49 percent said their effect was positive.
Evidence of declining support for public sector unions abounds around the country. Wisconsin governor Scott Walker's victory in the recall election "shows us that, despite all the noise, unions are in decline in traditionally Democrat-leaning Midwestern states," writes David Harsanyi for Human Events. In California, a solidly blue state, there is wide support for decreasing public employee pensions.
- California orders churches, others to pay for...
- Two Christian ministers refuse to perform...
- 2 dead in shooting attack at Canada's Parliament
- US: IS earns $1M per day in black market oil...
- Chairman of Becket Fund for Religious Liberty...
- Inspector: 'Serious lapse' at Secret Service
- #ThrowbackThursday: Why do we love the '90s?
- Threat to break isolation in Liberia over food
- Two Christian ministers refuse to... 114
- Wyoming prepares to legalize same-sex... 22
- California orders churches, others to... 21
- On campaign trail, Obama says GOP is... 18
- Expelled Nazis got millions in Social... 10
- At rallies, Obama casts 2014 as key for... 8
- This type of high school can increase... 8
- Kerry: 'Irresponsible' not to aid Kurds... 7