BYU track and field: women's programs ranked No. 10 in final standings
PROVO, Utah – BYU women’s track & field and cross country finished the 2011-12 season ranked No. 10 in the final U.S. Track & Field and Cross Country Coaches Association NCAA Division I Program of the Year Standings. Patrick Shane serves as the head coach for both the cross country and track and field programs.
Scoring is based on the team’s finish at each NCAA Division I Championship in cross country, indoor track & field and outdoor track & field (i.e. 1st = 1 point, 2nd = 2 points, 31st = 31 points) with the lowest total score for all three championships combined determining the award recipient.
The women had their best showing at the indoor championships as they finished 11th overall.Nachelle Mackie and Katie Palmer combined to score 16 of BYU’s 19 points by taking first and third, respectively, in the 800 meter race. Mackie and Palmer were also a part of the sixth-place distance medley relay team that scored three points.
Mackie was the star at the outdoor championships as she claimed the 800 meter title for all 10 Cougar points. BYU finished tied for 30th.
Kyle Chilton is the director of media relations for BYU men's basketball. He can be reached at 801-422-4909, firstname.lastname@example.org or on Twitter @kylechilton.
- The 1996 NBA Draft redone: How did the Jazz...
- 5 things to look for as BYU heads into fall camp
- 5 things to watch for as BYU, Utah and USU...
- 5 things Utah football needs for coming season
- Dick Harmon: Hanging with legacy players of...
- Mendenhall: BYU's 2015 schedule difficult...
- Brad Rock: Hill, Keeton, Booker not the best...
- 5 things to ponder as the Aggies head to fall...
- Dick Harmon: Big 12 expansion talk... 107
- Cougars say they have learned lessons... 70
- Ute football team picked to finish 5th... 53
- Utah makes top 7 for 4-star offensive... 50
- Morning links: BYU, Utah and Utah State... 42
- 4-star basketball recruit Connor... 32
- Whittingham dishes on stadium... 27
- Guard Elijah Bryant announces he is... 21