PROVO, Utah – BYU men’s track & field and cross country finished the 2011-12 season ranked No. 7 in the final U.S. Track & Field and Cross Country Coaches Association NCAA Division I Program of the Year Standings.
Scoring is based on the team’s finish at each NCAA Division I Championship in cross country, indoor track & field, and outdoor track & field (i.e. 1st = 1 point, 2nd = 2 points, 31st = 31 points) with the lowest total score for all three championships combined determining the award recipient.
The Cougars started strong with a fourth-place finish at the cross country championships and followed that up by finishing 14th at the indoor championships and tied for 21st at the outdoor championships.
Miles Batty was the key cog at all three championships. He was BYU’s top finisher at the cross country championships at 14th overall. At the indoor championships he had a hand in all 12 of BYU’s points, taking third in the mile and passing four different schools during his leg of the distance medley relay for another third-place finish. At outdoor nationals he took second in the 1,500 meters to score eight of BYU’s 13 points.
Kyle Chilton is the director of media relations for BYU men's basketball. He can be reached at 801-422-4909, email@example.com or on Twitter @kylechilton.
- Past few days 'difficult' for former...
- Defending champ Serena Williams at Wimbledon...
- Chile wins 2nd straight Copa America title as...
- Messi's retirement from Argentina could hurt...
- Most common names of NBA players this season
- Injured Lochte plows ahead in 200 free at US...
- Djokovic beat James Ward to open bid for 5th...
- Durant, Anthony lead US Olympic basketball team
- Kalani Sitake on BYU-Utah rivalry: 'I... 81
- Morning links: Colin Cowherd compares... 61
- Sitake not intimidated by BYU's arduous... 59
- Dick Harmon: 1996 Cotton Bowl champion... 51
- Morning Links: BYU basketball fans... 44
- 10 takeaways from BYU football media day 23
- Sitake making transition from longtime... 20
- Utah football: Williams, McCormick... 20