PROVO, Utah – BYU men’s track & field and cross country finished the 2011-12 season ranked No. 7 in the final U.S. Track & Field and Cross Country Coaches Association NCAA Division I Program of the Year Standings.
Scoring is based on the team’s finish at each NCAA Division I Championship in cross country, indoor track & field, and outdoor track & field (i.e. 1st = 1 point, 2nd = 2 points, 31st = 31 points) with the lowest total score for all three championships combined determining the award recipient.
The Cougars started strong with a fourth-place finish at the cross country championships and followed that up by finishing 14th at the indoor championships and tied for 21st at the outdoor championships.
Miles Batty was the key cog at all three championships. He was BYU’s top finisher at the cross country championships at 14th overall. At the indoor championships he had a hand in all 12 of BYU’s points, taking third in the mile and passing four different schools during his leg of the distance medley relay for another third-place finish. At outdoor nationals he took second in the 1,500 meters to score eight of BYU’s 13 points.
Kyle Chilton is the director of media relations for BYU men's basketball. He can be reached at 801-422-4909, firstname.lastname@example.org or on Twitter @kylechilton.
- Jazz knock off Thunder in emotional game with...
- BYU defense has ‘a long ways to go’
- Former Jazz big man Enes Kanter goes off,...
- Utah State set to hire assistant Tim Duryea...
- Brad Rock: The unforgettable Hot Rod Hundley
- Photo gallery: BYU rugby blanks Utah State in...
- 5 things you may have missed at BYU...
- Dick Harmon: Nomadic hoops coach Tony Ingle...
- A not-so-Sweet 16 for the Runnin' Utes... 120
- Former Jazz big man Enes Kanter goes... 38
- Brad Rock: Utes shouldn't feel bad, in... 34
- Utes went down swinging in Sweet 16... 29
- BYU defense has ‘a long ways to... 24
- Jazz knock off Thunder in emotional... 21
- Dick Harmon: BYU's spring football... 21
- AP All-Americans: Utah's Wright named... 19