Clint Burgi, Utah Valley Athletics
OREM, Utah -- Utah Valley University director of athletics Mike Jacobsen has announced head baseball coach Eric Madsen has signed a contract extension that will keep him in Orem through the 2016 season.
Madsen led UVU to a 47-12 record and its third straight Great West Conference regular season and tournament titles in 2012.
"I'm elated because this is where I want to be. Utah Valley is a terrific place to work and to coach. We have a great administration with wonderful support under Mike Jacobsen and President Matthew Holland. I have a tremendous coaching staff with associate head coach Dave Carter and I look forward to our continued success," said Madsen, who recently received his third straight Great West Conference Coach of the Year award.
Under Madsen, the Wolverines have gone 141-86 (.621) in his four seasons. Over the last three years, Utah Valley has won nearly 71 percent of its games, going 123-51 and winning conference regular season and tournament championships in each of the league's three seasons.
"We are thrilled that Eric Madsen will continue to lead UVU baseball program. He is very much a player's coach and has built a championship-level team," Jacobsen said. "Coach Madsen runs a first-class program that produces not only great baseball players but builds a great foundation for academics and athletics for the student athletes."
Madsen has produced All-Americans in each of the last three seasons including first-team All-American and Dick Howser Trophy finalist Goose Kallunki and Academic All-America selection Billy Burgess in 2012.
The 2012 Wolverines lead the nation in seven offensive categories including team batting with a .350 average. Madsen's 2010 team also led the country with a .372 average.
UVU also had a 32-game winning streak in 2012, earning the program national headlines after finishing just two games shy of matching the all-time record. Utah Valley won 40 of its final 41 games and nearly netted the school its first-ever NCAA Tournament berth.
Clint Burgi is the assistant athletic director for sports information at Utah Valley University. For more information on Wolverine athletics, visit WolverineGreen.com.
- Dick Harmon: Presence of injured stars looms...
- BYU-Memphis an 'intriguing' bowl matchup
- Brad Rock: This is where conference switch...
- Gordon Hayward happy to be moving on with...
- Tyler Haws scores 24 as BYU holds off Stanford
- Wyoming transfer Jason Thompson makes Utah...
- Cougars gain a lot over Final Four weekend...
- Sunday morning QB: Stars and stats from No....
- BYU football: Cougars in talks with... 63
- Big winner: Utes hit jackpot early and... 55
- Hamson and Gray step up big to get BYU... 45
- Dick Harmon: How a simple decision in... 35
- Ute football team has boots on the... 33
- Brad Rock: This is where conference... 33
- Miami Beach Bowl live coverage: BYU vs.... 30
- Ranking the biggest bowl games in... 28