VERNAL — Police are crediting the actions of a homeowner with the quick arrest of a man accused of kidnapping a woman and raping her.
The homeowner heard yelling outside his home near 50 West and 600 North in Vernal about 2 a.m. and looked outside. He witnessed a man smack a woman, then grab her by the throat and drag her into a field, police said.
The homeowner called 911. Responding officers found the man and woman still in the field. The man attempted to flee, but a Taser was deployed and the man was arrested, according to Assistant Vernal Police Chief Keith Campbell.
Investigators said the woman had been raped.
Jesse Anthony Saenz, 22, was booked into the Uintah County Jail for investigation of rape, aggravated kidnapping, object rape, failure to stop at the command of police and criminal mischief.
Saenz did not know the woman he is accused of attacking, police said.
- Newborn found in trash can brings call for help
- Carbon monoxide leak suspected in death of 2...
- Man arrested in connection with baby's death
- 3 Mormon missionaries die in 2 separate...
- Tired teen plowed into new car lot, Vernal...
- Utah’s Great Gallery rock art younger...
- Family of drowned Weber County man hopes free...
- Audit reveals major concerns about UTA...
- Back (home) to school: Thousands of... 52
- New poll shows many Utahns oppose and... 47
- House Speaker Becky Lockhart is running... 36
- Carbon monoxide leak suspected in death... 33
- 3 Mormon missionaries die in 2 separate... 30
- LDS missionary critically injured in... 27
- Court allows Utah more time to file gay... 26
- Water levels in Great Salt Lake... 19