VERNAL — Police are crediting the actions of a homeowner with the quick arrest of a man accused of kidnapping a woman and raping her.
The homeowner heard yelling outside his home near 50 West and 600 North in Vernal about 2 a.m. and looked outside. He witnessed a man smack a woman, then grab her by the throat and drag her into a field, police said.
The homeowner called 911. Responding officers found the man and woman still in the field. The man attempted to flee, but a Taser was deployed and the man was arrested, according to Assistant Vernal Police Chief Keith Campbell.
Investigators said the woman had been raped.
Jesse Anthony Saenz, 22, was booked into the Uintah County Jail for investigation of rape, aggravated kidnapping, object rape, failure to stop at the command of police and criminal mischief.
Saenz did not know the woman he is accused of attacking, police said.
- Doug Robinson: Advocate's plea: Please return...
- Rally in support of police also draws counter...
- Park City police nab pair suspected of...
- Bringing joy through simple acts of kindness
- Fire at Little America Hotel forces overnight...
- Baby's first Christmas comes with gift of hope
- Looming knee surgery inspired man to carve canes
- Gary (and Rose) Neeleman: Q and A with a...
- Hatch 'sorry to see' Lee called an... 130
- List of potential prison sites cut to... 44
- Poll: Nearly two-thirds of Utahns... 29
- Rally in support of police also draws... 27
- Mia Love names KSL reporter to head... 19
- Doug Robinson: Advocate's plea: Please... 19
- Police: Gunman said he shot at trooper... 13
- Judge issues summons for 'Super Dell' 9