"I can't make it go away," he said. "I'm not going to give (UTOPIA) any more money, but we have to make the bond obligations. … I want those out there who have seen me champion UTOPIA, don't construe that with (me being) happy it's here. I'm trying to make the best out of the situation."
"I appreciate that you weren't there and didn't want it in the first place," Crockett countered. "But you did advocate for the additional bond."
Winder took particular exception to allegations that he fought for an 18 percent tax increase in West Valley City in 2010 but then voted against it when the City Council already had enough votes to pass it.
"That is wrong. That is false. That is a half truth," he said. "I was against that tax increase from the day the city manager proposed it, and I voted against it."
Crockett also defended that allegation, saying he'd received that information from several sources.
"Probably two-dozen people have told me about how you told them you advocated for it and then you voted against it and why you rationalized it," he said. "Maybe they're lying to me, but I've heard a lot of accounts about that, and that's why I think that's probably right."
The two GOP Salt Lake County mayoral candidates face a June 26 primary to see who will face Democrat Ben McAdams in the general election in November.
Crockett and Winder are scheduled to debate again next week on KSL's "Sunday Edition." The taped debate will be televised at 9 a.m. June 17 on KSL-TV.
- Judge: Biological father will share custody...
- Lehi airman pulls off 'Operation Surprise'...
- The story of a fish, a river and what's ahead...
- Senate committee snuffs out e-cigarettes...
- Family of BYU student hit by car say they are...
- 'Pay the price or go dark': Going digital a...
- Dead Sea Scrolls exhibit offers chance to...
- House, Senate still struggling over budget
- Advocates rally and 'roar' for... 55
- National, local businesses file briefs... 52
- Family of BYU student hit by car say... 40
- Utah Democrats offer full Medicaid... 32
- Attempt to raise minimum wage in Utah... 31
- Gov. Herbert threatens veto of House... 31
- Prison relocation resolution passes House 18
- The story of a fish, a river and what's... 18