"I can't make it go away," he said. "I'm not going to give (UTOPIA) any more money, but we have to make the bond obligations. … I want those out there who have seen me champion UTOPIA, don't construe that with (me being) happy it's here. I'm trying to make the best out of the situation."
"I appreciate that you weren't there and didn't want it in the first place," Crockett countered. "But you did advocate for the additional bond."
Winder took particular exception to allegations that he fought for an 18 percent tax increase in West Valley City in 2010 but then voted against it when the City Council already had enough votes to pass it.
"That is wrong. That is false. That is a half truth," he said. "I was against that tax increase from the day the city manager proposed it, and I voted against it."
Crockett also defended that allegation, saying he'd received that information from several sources.
"Probably two-dozen people have told me about how you told them you advocated for it and then you voted against it and why you rationalized it," he said. "Maybe they're lying to me, but I've heard a lot of accounts about that, and that's why I think that's probably right."
The two GOP Salt Lake County mayoral candidates face a June 26 primary to see who will face Democrat Ben McAdams in the general election in November.
Crockett and Winder are scheduled to debate again next week on KSL's "Sunday Edition." The taped debate will be televised at 9 a.m. June 17 on KSL-TV.
- Josh Powell made 'admission of guilt' in...
- Tornado relief spurs LDS Church, Layton's...
- Letters to family show Steven Powell still...
- Couples registry gets preliminary nod from...
- 2 Utah high schools ranked among the best in...
- 4 reasons why you need to paraglide at Point...
- Frances Monson, wife of LDS prophet, passes away
- Doug Robinson: Memo to the government: Feel...
- Mia Love announces she's officially... 43
- S.L. draws up airport plans 32
- GOP delegates reject changes to... 31
- Couples registry gets preliminary nod... 29
- XanGo co-founder accuses partners of... 23
- 'We're here to serve all boys,' Utah... 22
- Search for Susan Cox Powell is over,... 21
- Gov. Gary Herbert tells Washington... 17