BYU track and field: Carter finishes eighth at NCAA Championships
Copyright BYU Photo 2012 email@example.com
DES MOINES, Iowa – Senior Chris Carter concluded his BYU career with an eighth-place finish in the 400 meter hurdles at the NCAA Division I Outdoor Track and Field Championships on Friday.
Carter’s eighth-place finish gives the Cougars one point and five total team points for the meet. Jared Ward finished fifth in the 10,000 meters on Wednesday to score four points for BYU.
As a point scorer, Carter is a virtual lock to earn All-America honors from the United States Track and Field and Cross Country Coaches Association (USTFCCCA). All-America honors will officially be announced on Monday by the USTFCCCA.
Carter’s career has now come full circle as the Roy, Utah, native also earned All-America honors in the same event as a freshman in 2006. He took third that year with a career-best time of 49.19.
Between his freshman and senior seasons, Carter’s career took many turns. His sophomore year he dealt with a stress fracture and a broken bone in his ankle. Carter then served a two-year mission for The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints in Canada and had surgery and redshirted upon returning home. He showed promise as a junior in 2011 but suffered a broken foot at the Mountain West Conference Championships.
“As a freshman he was unbelievable,” BYU coach Mark Robison said. “He won the World Junior Championships and was third at the NCAA Championships. He had a really rough go, and I’m really glad he stuck with it. It’s been a frustrating thing for him, but he’s a great young man who’s worked hard, competed and done a nice job. I’m really pleased with who he is and how he’s represented our team. It’s a tribute to him.”
Kyle Chilton is the director of media relations for BYU men's basketball. He can be reached at 801-422-4909, firstname.lastname@example.org or on Twitter @kylechilton.
- Brad Rock: This is where conference switch...
- Tyler Haws scores 24 as BYU holds off Stanford
- Big winner: Utes hit jackpot early and often...
- Wyoming transfer Jason Thompson makes Utah...
- Penn State sweeps BYU for a record seventh...
- Dick Harmon: Execution, not words, will crown...
- Dick Harmon: Presence of injured stars looms...
- Utah basketball team makes it a doubly-good...
- BYU football: Cougars in talks with... 62
- BYU defensive back transferring to Utah... 51
- Big winner: Utes hit jackpot early and... 50
- Hamson and Gray step up big to get BYU... 45
- Dick Harmon: How a simple decision in... 34
- Ute football team has boots on the... 33
- Ranking the biggest bowl games in... 28
- Doug Robinson: A victory lap for Hot... 22