"Again, it's all about following the voice. At the time I thought I was losing everything. I was absolutely miserable, but it's not cancer that defeats you, it's your thoughts about cancer.
"I transformed from a bitter, angry cancer victim to a normal healthy-appearing person with a profound inner peace," she said.
"The bottom line is that you follow your soul and you listen to that voice.
"It is an honor to serve the poorest of the poor. Interacting with these children and families in these countries I forget my troubles and I have discovered the healing power of service.
"It has not been easy. I have been diagnosed with a brain tumor, another breast cancer, and have had multiple broken bones, difficult treatments and frustrating side effects.
"I marvel at how interested people are in my experiences. I volunteer for a national breast cancer organization and speak to women diagnosed with stage 4 disease from all over the country. I marvel that through the enabling power of grace, I offer comfort and inspiration to them. It is humbling and miraculous to be a channel through which amazing experiences have come.
"My message: One person can make a difference. Live beyond limits. I am a living testament that miracles are possible. I am in gratitude."
Sharon Haddock is a professional writer with 35 years experience, 17 at the Deseret News. Her personal blog is at sharonhaddock.blogspot.com.
- Mormon-raised Paul Walker remembered for...
- Seeing is believing: Doctor, family say...
- 10 things to do with an LDS account
- BYU's linebacker Kyle Van Noy engaged to Miss...
- LDS general authorities make appearance at...
- Court: Mormon church, members not liable in...
- Home-school culture shifting away from...
- Roof, tower for Provo City Center Temple add...
- Mormon-raised Paul Walker remembered... 55
- Croatians vote against same-sex marriage 39
- Court: Mormon church, members not... 33
- Cardinal Dolan says Catholic church... 28
- BYU's linebacker Kyle Van Noy engaged... 26
- Ask Angela: Woman shares update on... 20
- Seeing is believing: Doctor, family say... 18
- 'Heaven is for Real': Trailer released... 17