OREM — For the first time at the Hale Center Theater Orem, "Crazy for You" will hit the stage.
The new "classic" musical is based on the book written by Ken Ludwig with music by George Gershwin and lyrics by Ira Gershwin. The show, which won three Tony Awards in 1992, including Best Musical, is largely based on the 1930s musical "Girl Crazy" and is full of upbeat, feel-good comedy.
"It is the perfect recipe for a country in an economic recession," said Anne Swenson. "Interestingly, "Girl Crazy," the original version of this show, lightened the spirits of an economically depressed country as well."
The lead character, banker Bobby Child (played by comic favorite David Smith), comes to Deadrock, Nev., to foreclose on the Gaiety Theatre.
His plans are derailed when he falls in love with the theater owner's daughter, Polly Baker, (played by Debra Weed and Hailey Morey) and he becomes involved in a scheme to save the day by putting on a magnificent show.
Equity actor Nicole Riding plays the part of Irene Roth, the wealthy woman to whom Child is unhappily engaged.
The plot thickens as Child tries to help and still hold onto his new love who has vowed to destroy him before she ever meets him.
The story is set in a nearly dead mining town, so director Dave Tinney chose to built the set from reclaimed and repurposed Western junk.
Swenson said that meant hosing off and shaking down the treasures Tinney and set designer Bobby Swenson found in dumpsters, second-hand stores and grandparents' backyards.
If you go:
What: "Crazy for You"
When: 7:30 p.m., Monday-Saturday, June 14-Aug. 4; 3 p.m. Saturday matinees
Tickets: $16-$20 ($4 discount for children's tickets)
To purchase: call 801-226-8600 or see: HaleTheater.org
Sharon Haddock is a professional writer with 35 years experience, 17 at the Deseret News. Her personal blog is at sharonhaddock.blogspot.com.
- The Clean Cut: After dad's death, brother...
- She paid for a family's groceries and got...
- Can you guess when these 17 animated Disney...
- There is no such thing as a bulletproof marriage
- Pornography conference probes perils, solutions
- Erin Stewart: Saying goodbye to a mommy era
- The problems grandparents face when...
- How parents can keep family screen time under...
- Maryland couple investigated again... 18
- Pornography conference probes perils,... 6
- Erin Stewart: Saying goodbye to a mommy... 5
- She paid for a family's groceries and... 5
- Schooled by autism: 5 lessons from my... 3
- Ask Mr. Dad: How to handle stress of... 2
- Sherry Young: Protecting our family in... 2
- What causes do men care about? Kids and... 1