UVU baseball: Goose Kallunki named District VIII Player of the Year
OREM — On Wednesday he drafted by the Padres; on Thursday he was named a finalist for the top honor in college baseball; and on Friday Goose Kallunki has been named the District VIII Player of the Year by the National College Baseball Writers Association (NCBWA).
It’s been a whirlwind week for the Utah Valley University senior, who is also on his way to Arizona to begin his professional career.
He was taken by San Diego in the 27th round of the 2012 MLB Draft after a monster senior season that landed the Orem native the Great West Conference Player of the Year award.
The NCBWA also named Kallunki among its final three candidates for the 2012 Dick Howser Trophy, regarded as the Heisman Trophy of college baseball. The winner of that award will be announced at a press conference on June 15 at TD Ameritrade during the College World Series.
Kallunki was also a semifinalist for the Golden Spikes Award, which goes to the top player in amateur baseball.
There are nine district players of the year representing different areas of the country. District VIII is comprised of Utah, Colorado, Idaho, Montana, Nevada, New Mexico and Wyomimg.
Clint Burgi is the assistant athletic director for sports information at Utah Valley University. For more information on Wolverine athletics, visit WolverineGreen.com.
- Red and Blue Recruits: Breaking down Utah and...
- The 2014 Heisman Trophy tracker: Week 3
- BYU center Tejan Koroma's penalty overturned,...
- Heisman Trophy tracker: Week 3, injuries...
- BYU's Hill has come a long way since loss at...
- Week 2 NFL locals roundup: Players from Utah...
- Dick Harmon: Dick Harmon: Is BYU quarterback...
- Sports BLT video: Bronco Mendenhall provides...
- Pac-12 trips have made the Big House a... 111
- BYU center Tejan Koroma's penalty... 71
- BYU moves up to No. 21 in AP poll, No.... 61
- Vai's View: BYU's greatest quarterback... 52
- Dick Harmon: Dick Harmon: Is BYU... 51
- No. 21 BYU preparing for a Virginia... 49
- BYU off to first 3-0 start in 6... 48
- If BYU and Utah played on the gridiron... 45