UVU baseball: Goose Kallunki named District VIII Player of the Year
OREM — On Wednesday he drafted by the Padres; on Thursday he was named a finalist for the top honor in college baseball; and on Friday Goose Kallunki has been named the District VIII Player of the Year by the National College Baseball Writers Association (NCBWA).
It’s been a whirlwind week for the Utah Valley University senior, who is also on his way to Arizona to begin his professional career.
He was taken by San Diego in the 27th round of the 2012 MLB Draft after a monster senior season that landed the Orem native the Great West Conference Player of the Year award.
The NCBWA also named Kallunki among its final three candidates for the 2012 Dick Howser Trophy, regarded as the Heisman Trophy of college baseball. The winner of that award will be announced at a press conference on June 15 at TD Ameritrade during the College World Series.
Kallunki was also a semifinalist for the Golden Spikes Award, which goes to the top player in amateur baseball.
There are nine district players of the year representing different areas of the country. District VIII is comprised of Utah, Colorado, Idaho, Montana, Nevada, New Mexico and Wyomimg.
Clint Burgi is the assistant athletic director for sports information at Utah Valley University. For more information on Wolverine athletics, visit WolverineGreen.com.
- Jimmer Fredette on defense: 'You have to have...
- Red and Blue Recruits: The evaluation process...
- Dick Harmon: Even more urgency needed as...
- The Heisman Trophy tracker, Week 8: A Utah...
- Watch it live: 4A girls soccer semifinals
- Travis Wilson back in the saddle as Utes'...
- Reeling Cougars 'starving for some redemption'
- Utah Jazz point guard Trey Burke getting an...
- Nevada rallies to beat BYU, 42-35 68
- Dick Harmon: BYU amasses yards but... 49
- Mired in 3-game losing streak, BYU... 49
- Dick Harmon: Even more urgency needed... 49
- FBS football coaches vote BYU most... 39
- Travis Wilson back in the saddle as... 29
- Brad Rock: Utes have their star in... 28
- College football: Utah rises to No. 19... 26