UVU baseball: Goose Kallunki named District VIII Player of the Year
OREM — On Wednesday he drafted by the Padres; on Thursday he was named a finalist for the top honor in college baseball; and on Friday Goose Kallunki has been named the District VIII Player of the Year by the National College Baseball Writers Association (NCBWA).
It’s been a whirlwind week for the Utah Valley University senior, who is also on his way to Arizona to begin his professional career.
He was taken by San Diego in the 27th round of the 2012 MLB Draft after a monster senior season that landed the Orem native the Great West Conference Player of the Year award.
The NCBWA also named Kallunki among its final three candidates for the 2012 Dick Howser Trophy, regarded as the Heisman Trophy of college baseball. The winner of that award will be announced at a press conference on June 15 at TD Ameritrade during the College World Series.
Kallunki was also a semifinalist for the Golden Spikes Award, which goes to the top player in amateur baseball.
There are nine district players of the year representing different areas of the country. District VIII is comprised of Utah, Colorado, Idaho, Montana, Nevada, New Mexico and Wyomimg.
Clint Burgi is the assistant athletic director for sports information at Utah Valley University. For more information on Wolverine athletics, visit WolverineGreen.com.
- 20 years ago: Utah Jazz drop heartbreaker to...
- While Djokovic, Williams wait, Wawrinka gets...
- Risks in climbing Everest in focus as 3 die,...
- Live streams: 4A & 5A baseball tournament...
- LSU's live tiger mascot diagnosed with rare...
- Olympic gold-medal sailor tells of gunpoint...
- A look at Day 2 at French Open
- Lowry, DeRozan lead Raptors to 105-99 win...
- ESPN's Jake Trotter says it's 'Big 12... 144
- Morning links: Broncos like Devontae... 66
- Rivalry renewed: BYU, Utah agree to a... 45
- Brad Rock: BYU-Utah hoops are back... 40
- Brad Rock: This is the Big 12 —of... 39
- Morning links: BYU shirt summits Mt.... 37
- Video: 100 days until college football... 27
- Utah defensive lineman reportedly... 25