UVU baseball: Goose Kallunki named District VIII Player of the Year
OREM — On Wednesday he drafted by the Padres; on Thursday he was named a finalist for the top honor in college baseball; and on Friday Goose Kallunki has been named the District VIII Player of the Year by the National College Baseball Writers Association (NCBWA).
It’s been a whirlwind week for the Utah Valley University senior, who is also on his way to Arizona to begin his professional career.
He was taken by San Diego in the 27th round of the 2012 MLB Draft after a monster senior season that landed the Orem native the Great West Conference Player of the Year award.
The NCBWA also named Kallunki among its final three candidates for the 2012 Dick Howser Trophy, regarded as the Heisman Trophy of college baseball. The winner of that award will be announced at a press conference on June 15 at TD Ameritrade during the College World Series.
Kallunki was also a semifinalist for the Golden Spikes Award, which goes to the top player in amateur baseball.
There are nine district players of the year representing different areas of the country. District VIII is comprised of Utah, Colorado, Idaho, Montana, Nevada, New Mexico and Wyomimg.
Clint Burgi is the assistant athletic director for sports information at Utah Valley University. For more information on Wolverine athletics, visit WolverineGreen.com.
- Blame game follows NBA's removal of Charlotte...
- Froome keeps lead intact, set to secure 3rd...
- Ready or Not: Rio Olympics open doors at...
- 20 years ago: Palacios defends marathon title
- IOC leaders stop short of complete ban on...
- Aussies won't move to Rio village yet; power,...
- Ken Griffey Jr. and Mike Piazza inducted into...
- 'Vive la France': Chris Froome makes...
- BYU football: Certain games on the... 104
- Report: Tom Holmoe tells Big 12 he's... 81
- Morning links: Utah Jazz on the rise;... 36
- BYU football coaching staff upbeat... 34
- Former BYU QB Max Hall confronts... 30
- Big 12 watch: BYU praised for 'excited'... 29
- Former BYU coach Bronco Mendenhall says... 20
- Blame game follows NBA's removal of... 8