U.S. credit card debt dropped 5.2 percent in the first quarter of 2012
Tom Smart, Deseret News
Outstanding credit card debt in the U.S. dropped 5.2 percent to $803 billion during the first quarter of 2012, marking the third consecutive first-quarter drop, according to a recent study from CardHub.com.
Though first quarter figures have dropped, the total debt is slightly greater than the $794.4 billion reported for the same time last year.
The $35.8 billion paid down in the first quarter is 12 percent higher than in 2011, but it’s 8 percent lower than 2010.
This may be a sign that the U.S. is on track to have a pace similar to 2011 in which Americans incurred about $53.4 billion in new credit card debt, according to Card Hub.
“It’s clear that most of us have yet to truly internalize the reality that we cannot continue spending in this reckless manner,” Odysseas Papadimitriou, chief executive officer of Card Hub, said in a statement. “The problem is that we see signs of the nation’s economy recovering and think we can return to pre-recession spending levels. Unfortunately, pre-recession spending was inextricably tied to the housing bubble, and without another one, we cannot turn back the clock."
The amount of debt banks charged off dropped about 37 percent to 8.8 percent from 2011 figures.
- Exxon sees smallest profit in 16 years,...
- Yahoo CEO could get $55M in severance pay in...
- Oculus Rift delays flatten virtual-reality...
- First US cruise in decades set to arrive in...
- Mystery solved? Australian says he's Bitcoin...
- Advocates: High court signals it won't stop...
- Corporate earnings keep falling, but there...
- Why volunteer work is good for businesses
- Provo transit project set to begin,... 13
- Brewvies wants judge to stop DABC from... 10
- What millennials need to do to retire... 9
- Additional concourse boosts airport... 8
- Utah agrees not enforce obscenity law... 8
- This country could receive the largest... 7
- Advocates: High court signals it won't... 5
- Exxon sees smallest profit in 16 years,... 3