DES MOINES, Iowa – BYU senior Miles Batty posted the third-best time in the preliminary of the 1,500 meters on Thursday to advance to the final at the 2012 NCAA Outdoor Track and Field Championships.
The top seven finishers in Batty’s heat finished within 0.54 seconds of each other. Ryan Hill of North Carolina State came in first in 3:39.84, Batty was third at 3:40.01 while the seventh-place finisher, Michael Hammond of Virginia Tech, came in at 3:40.38.
BYU’s 1,600 meter relay team of Jason Hinds,Shaquille Walker, Cade Lindahl and Chris Carter also competed on Thursday and posted a solid time of 3:06.81. The Cougars finished 15th overall and did not advance to the final.
Batty will contend for a national championship in the 1,500 meters on Saturday at 11:17 a.m. CT at Drake University. Senior Chris Carter will compete in the 400 meter hurdle final on Friday at 5:35 p.m. CT.
Kyle Chilton is the director of media relations for BYU men's basketball. He can be reached at 801-422-4909, email@example.com or on Twitter @kylechilton.
- LeBron James wins NBA Finals MVP for 3rd time
- NBC to unveil new theme song for 'Sunday...
- From Ben Simmons down, international players...
- Facing Argentina, Messi in Copa semis not...
- WNBA undefeated: Lynx host Sparks for 20th...
- Cleveland set to hold parade for NBA champion...
- Deseret News podcast: 2016 NBA draft preview
- A look at how freshmen have fared with NBA...
- Morning links: Athlon ranks Utah FBS... 89
- BYU football receives commitment from... 63
- Utah football to host Weber State in 2021 41
- Kyle Whittingham says Utah Utes... 37
- Utah Jazz to acquire Indiana Pacers PG... 37
- Jakob Poeltl to the Utah Jazz? It's... 25
- Morning links: ESPN analysts critical... 23
- Morning links: Warriors feel Andrew... 22