Scott G. Winterton, Deseret News
SALT LAKE CITY — The Sunday People’s Market will open at 10 a.m. on Sunday in the International Peace Gardens. It will run Sundays through October from 10 a.m.-3 p.m.
Shoppers will find locally grown food and handcrafted products from more than 30 micro-scale urban area growers, gardeners and craftsmen.
The Supplemental Nutrition Assistance Program offers opportunities for families who receive food stamp benefits to purchase fresh fruits, vegetables and other eligible products at the People’s Market. SNAP customers are supported for another season with the 2-for-1 token program when they use an EBT card.
In addition to accepting major credit/debit cards, the token system allows Horizon Card customers to shop at the People’s Market. Shoppers can visit the People’s Market booth and scan the Horizon Card to redeem wooden tokens and use the tokens just like cash to buy qualified food products.
On opening day, community members can participate in a yard sale area at the market and sell items for a $5 fee. In addition, people can stop at the market booth to get a passport card to visit vendor booths and bring the passport back to the market booth to get a free packet of seeds.
Sspecial events include: June 17, Kids Craft Day; June 24, Bike Day; July 15, Cultural Celebration Day; Aug. 5 Book Day; Aug. 19, Animal Celebration Day; Sept. 23, Fine Arts Day; Oct. 7, Health and Safety Day; Oct 21, Early Halloween Celebration.
Visit slcpeoplesmarket.org for information and participant applications.
- Join the crowds by listing your home in spring
- It can cost you $12,000 a year to buy...
- How one woman unplugged from technology for...
- Why some handsome men have trouble finding work
- Suit challenges HollyFrontier Refinery expansion
- Utah construction companies fined, ordered to...
- Corinthian Colleges closes all 28 remaining...
- Internet billionaires face off in renewed...
- What could McDonald's do to fix its... 11
- Utah construction companies fined,... 8
- How one woman unplugged from technology... 6
- It can cost you $12,000 a year to buy... 5
- Suit challenges HollyFrontier Refinery... 4
- Why some handsome men have trouble... 2
- First lady: Tech industry to train,... 1
- Greece under fire from creditors as... 1