PROVO — The men in Vocal Point who impressed both judges and the national television audience during NBC's "The Sing-Off" reality show want to share what they've learned from that experience with aspiring singers.
Vocal Point — a group of Brigham Young University a cappella vocalists — beat out 15 other top singing groups from across the nation and lasted until the final week of competition, performing rock, hip-hop, country, ballad and pop arrangements.
The group is now offering to teach and mentor singers of all levels between the ages of 15-25 in a vocal boot camp in July.
McKay Crockett said instructors for the one-week camp will include the founder of Vocal Point, Bob Ahlander, and Dean Kaelin, who is singer David Archuleta's vocal coach. Other participants are local composer Sam Cardon; Laina Walker of the Delilah a cappella group; Kari Francis, a percussionist with Kinfolk 9; and current members of Vocal Point.
"We are trying to take all of this amazing knowledge and share it," Crockett said.
Participants will be grouped into teams for the week and learn songs with the help of the staff to perform in concert. In addition, they'll spend time in workshops with guest instructors to sharpen individual skills.
Camp participants will perform in a matinee and evening concert on July 14, in the Covey Center.
Crockett said vocalists will be divided into appropriate skill level classes. One hundred singers will be accepted to the camp.
For registration and audition information, visit remixvocalacademy.com.
If you go:
What: ReMix Vocal Academy and Concerts
When: July 9-14, 9 a.m.-5 p.m., with July 14 concerts
Where: Covey Center for the Arts, 424 W. Center, Provo
How much: $10 registration fee, $395 camp fee; $10 concert tickets, available at the Covey Center box office or coveycenter.org
Sharon Haddock is a professional writer with 35 years experience, 17 at the Deseret News. Her personal blog is at sharonhaddock.blogspot.com.
- Profane, award-winning 'Book of Mormon'...
- Kids are still reading 'Calvin and Hobbes'
- Dead Sea Scrolls exhibit offers chance to...
- Brandon Mull's new 'Sky Raiders' shares...
- Dancing for Food: Dance event raises $40K for...
- 'Pay the price or go dark': Going digital a...
- Book review: Brandon Sanderson's 'Words of...
- First look at modernized 'Annie' produced by...
- Profane, award-winning 'Book of Mormon'... 63
- Director Darren Aronofsky’s... 20
- Instead of 'Game of Thrones,' there are... 11
- 'Pay the price or go dark': Going... 9
- Kids are still reading 'Calvin and Hobbes' 7
- Dead Sea Scrolls exhibit offers chance... 5
- PBS science correspondent Miles O'Brien... 1
- First look at modernized 'Annie'... 1