Scott G Winterton, Deseret News
SALT LAKE CITY — Firefighters are still working to extinguish several wildfires throughout Utah, here is an update on their progress.
White Rock Fire
Despite high winds, firefighters reached 40 percent containment of the White Rock Fire, which claimed the lives of two firefighters when their airtanker crashed.
Total containment of the 6,925-acre fire burning on the Utah-Nevada border is expected by June 10, according to Kidd's Great Basin Incident Management Team.
“Although we saw some growth in the northeast portion of the fire, suppression resources were strategically placed and we were able to get a line around the most of the perimeter last night,” Incident Commander John Kidd said.
Box Creek Fire
The Box Creek Fire, which is about nine miles northeast of Marysvale, has burned 700 acres with no containment. There is no estimation on when the fire will be contained, according to a Fishlake National Forest news release.
According to the release the fire, which started on Monday, was caused by high winds blowing the embers in a fire pit. Public and firefighter safety is the main priority of Fish Lake National Forest, along with minimizing damage to private property.
Lost Lake Fire
The Wayne County Sheriff's Office was called to the Lost Lake Fire Sunday to help Fishlake National Forest fight the blaze. As of Wednesday there was no containment and no estimate of when it would be contained.
The fire is about four miles southwest of Teasdale and has burned 2,322 acres. Six homes were evacuated because of the fire, and about 30 other residents were warned of possible evacuations, according to a news release by Wayne County Sheriff's office. Roads around the fire have also been closed.
Lake Creek Fire
The Lake Creek fire, first reported Monday morning, is about 10 miles northwest of Boulder, Utah and 15 miles north of Escalante. According to a news release by Dixie National Forest, the fire has burned about 1,100 acres so far. The 120 Firefighters have contained about 30 percent of the blaze.
No private property or structures are being threatened right now.
- Man charged with killing Ogden officer found...
- Provo couple killed in RV accident near St....
- Davis County honor student arrested in deaths...
- Steven Powell can't go back to his home,...
- Police were watching, listening to Josh and...
- 'More questions than answers' as charges...
- Common Core State Standards attract...
- Josh Powell made 'admission of guilt' in...
- Chaffetz not willing to take... 70
- Mia Love announces she's officially... 43
- Man charged with killing Ogden officer... 38
- S.L. draws up airport plans 33
- Couples registry gets preliminary nod... 29
- 'We're here to serve all boys,' Utah... 23
- Search for Susan Cox Powell is over,... 21
- Gov. Gary Herbert tells Washington... 17