Jaren Wilkey, BYU Photo
PROVO, Utah – Eight members of the BYU men’s track and field team will represent the Cougars at the 2012 NCAA Division I Outdoor Track and Field Championships in Des Moines, Iowa, this week. Drake University will host the championships at Jim Duncan Track at the university's Drake Stadium.
Action at the Championships begins on Wednesday, June 6, and runs through Saturday, June 9. Visit godrakebulldogs.com for results and to watch the championships live online. Ncaa.com will stream Wednesday’s action and Espn3.com will pick up coverage for Thursday, Friday and Saturday. ESPNU will televise Saturday’s action from 11 a.m. to 1 p.m.
BYU will compete in five individual events and one relay. Leading the way for the Cougars will be senior Miles Batty in the 1,500 meters. He ran the 1,500 meters in 3:37.50 at the Occidental High Performance Meet, the second-fastest time in the NCAA this season. Batty has earned five track All-America honors during his BYU career.
Sophomore Jared Ward and senior Alden Bahr will represent the Cougars in the 10,000 meters, senior Chris Carter will run the 400 meter hurdles and Ryan Waite will compete in the 800 meters. Bahr and Ward are ranked 25th and 32nd in the NCAA, respectively, while Carter and Waite are 23rd and 40th in their respective events.
Carter will team up with Jason Hinds, Shaquille Walker and Cade Lindahl in the 4x400 meter relay. BYU’s 4x400 meter relay narrowly missed breaking the BYU record with a time of 3:06.21 at the NCAA West Preliminary round.
Waite, Carter, Ward and Bahr will compete on Wednesday, while Batty and the relay team will run for the first time on Thursday. See the schedule below.
Kyle Chilton is the director of media relations for BYU men's basketball. He can be reached at 801-422-4909, firstname.lastname@example.org or on Twitter @kylechilton.
- Ben Simmons, Brandon Ingram and intrigue...
- 24-team Euro 2016 a wacky success
- Nevada gambling regulators to weigh new...
- Carmelo Anthony among 10 set for US Olympic...
- Jazz snubbed: Agents block players from...
- AP Source: Pacers acquire Thad Young from Nets
- Rio Olympic organizers unveil village where...
- Agent: LeBron James to skip Rio Olympics
- Never on Sunday: BYU won't compete on... 137
- U. stadium gets bigger scoreboard,... 57
- Morning links: ESPN analysts critical... 31
- Morning Links: BYU basketball fans... 30
- Utah basketball: Poeltl taken by... 19
- Sitake making transition from longtime... 17
- Utah Jazz plan to be 'active' during... 16
- Families grapple with the pressure to... 15