Governor Gary Herbert endorses Orrin Hatch in Senate primary
Laura Seitz, Deseret News
SALT LAKE CITY — Gov. Gary Herbert finally made an endorsement in the Republican U.S. Senate primary Wednesday, choosing Sen. Orrin Hatch over former state lawmaker Dan Liljenquist.
Herbert said in a statement released by the Hatch campaign that the six-term senator's "experience and seniority in the U.S. Senate will be invaluable" in the state's efforts to expand the economy, support Hill Air Force Base, defend access to natural resources and promote "sensible" health care reform.
The governor said he considers Liljenquist "a bright talent and my friend" but he will be voting for Hatch. "Sen. Hatch's tireless work ethic, grounded in conservative Utah values and matched by his keen understanding of critical issues, makes him the best choice for Utah," he said.
Hatch said the governor "has been a long time ally in the fight for limited government and constitutional principles" and that he looks forward to their "continued efforts to ensure that the state of Utah, not Washington, decides what is best for its citizens."
Liljenquist spokeswoman Holly Richardson said the endorsement was anticipated, noting that Hatch and Herbert "have been friends longer than Dan has been alive." She said the Liljenquist campaign will continue "to work to take our message to the people of Utah."
Herbert, who was able to avoid being pushed into a primary election by defeating his intraparty challengers at the state GOP convention in April, had been reluctant to endorse in the Senate race.
The governor said shortly after the convention that voters faced a tough decision, describing the race as "about seniority, whether you think seniority is an important thing for the state of Utah ... versus a new set of eyes and ears of a very talented guy."
- Pleasant Grove pizza manager arrested for...
- What does a letter grade mean for my child's...
- Once paralyzed, Mormon missionary heading...
- Former top deputy in Utah attorney general...
- A year later, a look at the Utah decision on...
- Christmas I Remember Best: 'All this, and...
- Police search for two suspects in downtown...
- Grading Utah schools, 2014: Top 20 highest...
- A year later, a look at the Utah... 88
- Majority of Utahns oppose moving state... 54
- Sugar House man intends to sue police,... 35
- Anti-police protests tie up traffic on... 32
- Audit: Utah still relies heavily on... 16
- Utah lawmakers recommend lowest-cost... 16
- What does a letter grade mean for my... 15
- Couples celebrate one-year anniversary... 13