UHP cites man accused of failing to secure mattress that caused fatality
BRIGHAM CITY — A Fruit Heights man has been cited for failing to secure his mattress, leading to the death of a motorcyclist.
Gerald Holgreen, 53, was cited for failure to secure a load after it was determined that he owned the mattress that fell on to I-15 in Box Elder County and caused a fatal accident, according to the Utah Highway Patrol.
Royce Munns, 46, of Brigham City, was killed in the crash. Munns was traveling south on I-15 around 10:45 p.m. Monday when he hit a mattress in the road and crashed. The man was not wearing a helmet, the UHP reported.
A medical helicopter responded to the scene, but Munns was pronounced dead before he could be transported.
Holgreen apparently heard of the crash in the media and contacted the UHP. After interviewing Holgreen, the UHP determined he was the owner of the mattress involved in the crash.
- Carbon County deputy saves father, son from...
- Dispatchers answer man's repeated 911 calls...
- Sugar House man intends to sue police, city...
- Fire rips through Orem structure under...
- Grading Utah schools, 2014: Top 20 highest...
- Woman killed in Sandy shooting
- Regulators, groups eye EPA rule on coal ash
- Police: Vernal woman arrested with car full...
- Majority of Utahns oppose moving state... 51
- Prison relocation sites down to four as... 50
- Obama signature all that's left in... 39
- End gun violence, say faith leaders on... 33
- Sugar House man intends to sue police,... 33
- Popular Utah County water recreation... 21
- Audit: Utah still relies heavily on... 16
- Utahns favor Count My Vote and SB54,... 15