UHP cites man accused of failing to secure mattress that caused fatality
BRIGHAM CITY — A Fruit Heights man has been cited for failing to secure his mattress, leading to the death of a motorcyclist.
Gerald Holgreen, 53, was cited for failure to secure a load after it was determined that he owned the mattress that fell on to I-15 in Box Elder County and caused a fatal accident, according to the Utah Highway Patrol.
Royce Munns, 46, of Brigham City, was killed in the crash. Munns was traveling south on I-15 around 10:45 p.m. Monday when he hit a mattress in the road and crashed. The man was not wearing a helmet, the UHP reported.
A medical helicopter responded to the scene, but Munns was pronounced dead before he could be transported.
Holgreen apparently heard of the crash in the media and contacted the UHP. After interviewing Holgreen, the UHP determined he was the owner of the mattress involved in the crash.
- Summer downpour causes flooding, slides...
- Swallow, Shurtleff make first court...
- Utah leads the nation in deadly melanoma cases
- Project to restore Manti Tabernacle underway
- Provo's waffle truck started by a motivated...
- Video of school bus driver shows 'bizarre'...
- Cartel presence in Utah 'exploding' with...
- Settlement in dog shooting case reached, then...
- Republican, Democratic political... 37
- Ex-federal judge says West Valley... 25
- Owens' pollster says new poll shows... 22
- Drunken driver goes airborne, crashes... 21
- Swallow, Shurtleff make first court... 20
- Provo's waffle truck started by a... 19
- Critics decry solar fee as 'sun' tax 17
- Long road to trial begins Wednesday for... 13