SALT LAKE CITY — Former Utah legislator and congressional candidate Carl Wimmer's announcement that he is taking a job as the political director of Nevada's Republican Party appears to be in conflict with that state's party chairman.
Wimmer announced Monday that he has accepted the position in Nevada, but Nevada Republican Party Chairman Michael McDonald told the Las Vegas Review-Journal the party hasn't hired a new political director.
"He's not coming on as political director," McDonald said in an interview with the Las Vegas Review-Journal. "I have never spoken to him. I'm sure he's a great guy, but I never committed to hiring him. And I think we have several people in Nevada capable of doing the job."
There appears to be a conflict between McDonald and party executive director Jesse Law, who confirmed Wimmer's selection in media interviews Monday.
Law told the Deseret News, "Carl is tremendous when it comes to uniting folks. Most importantly, in my opinion, he's a very skilled fundraiser.
Attempts to reach Wimmer, Law and McDonald Tuesday were not successful.
Cindie Quintana, a spokeswoman for Wimmer, responded to the controversy Tuesday night and said people should not jump to conclusions.
"My hope is that people won't make assumptions without fact," Quintana said. "Carl is a man of his word and would not announce he had a job unless he indeed believed he had the job."
McDonald spoke with Las Vegas Review-Journal Political Reporter Laura Meyers.
"It sounded to me like he is not (a candidate for the job) ...," Meyers said of Wimmer. "It sounds like maybe this premature announcement may have taken him off the candidate list if he was on it. I think he was on it."
- Davis County honor student arrested in deaths...
- Letters to family show Steven Powell still...
- Steven Powell can't go back to his home,...
- Josh Powell made 'admission of guilt' in...
- Police locate West Point teen called 'person...
- Man charged with killing Ogden officer found...
- Stump the Smith: Can you answer the questions...
- Chaffetz not willing to take impeachment off...
- Chaffetz not willing to take... 65
- Mia Love announces she's officially... 43
- S.L. draws up airport plans 33
- Couples registry gets preliminary nod... 29
- XanGo co-founder accuses partners of... 24
- 'We're here to serve all boys,' Utah... 23
- Search for Susan Cox Powell is over,... 21
- Gov. Gary Herbert tells Washington... 17