SALT LAKE CITY — Former Utah legislator and congressional candidate Carl Wimmer's announcement that he is taking a job as the political director of Nevada's Republican Party appears to be in conflict with that state's party chairman.
Wimmer announced Monday that he has accepted the position in Nevada, but Nevada Republican Party Chairman Michael McDonald told the Las Vegas Review-Journal the party hasn't hired a new political director.
"He's not coming on as political director," McDonald said in an interview with the Las Vegas Review-Journal. "I have never spoken to him. I'm sure he's a great guy, but I never committed to hiring him. And I think we have several people in Nevada capable of doing the job."
There appears to be a conflict between McDonald and party executive director Jesse Law, who confirmed Wimmer's selection in media interviews Monday.
Law told the Deseret News, "Carl is tremendous when it comes to uniting folks. Most importantly, in my opinion, he's a very skilled fundraiser.
Attempts to reach Wimmer, Law and McDonald Tuesday were not successful.
Cindie Quintana, a spokeswoman for Wimmer, responded to the controversy Tuesday night and said people should not jump to conclusions.
"My hope is that people won't make assumptions without fact," Quintana said. "Carl is a man of his word and would not announce he had a job unless he indeed believed he had the job."
McDonald spoke with Las Vegas Review-Journal Political Reporter Laura Meyers.
"It sounded to me like he is not (a candidate for the job) ...," Meyers said of Wimmer. "It sounds like maybe this premature announcement may have taken him off the candidate list if he was on it. I think he was on it."
- Utah's first family of rodeo: Riding buckin'...
- Tanker crash sends oil into Provo River as...
- Olene Walker, "one of Utah's finest public...
- Icy roads blamed for Cedar City car crash...
- Hillary's grace: Watching her daughter...
- MTC missionaries spend Thanksgiving preparing...
- Students hope to invent windows of the future
- Local cowboys: A new foursome for the...
- Ogden woman sues trooper, alleging he... 36
- Olene Walker, "one of Utah's finest... 15
- Man steals woman's boarding pass,... 13
- The new Thanksgiving tradition: A quick... 11
- MTC missionaries spend Thanksgiving... 10
- Utah liquor consumption is up, but... 8
- Men and women: Understanding the wage... 7
- Recruiting crisis? UHP, other agencies... 6