Kristin Murphy, Kristin Murphy, Kristin Murphy,
SALT LAKE CITY — Former Utah legislator and congressional candidate Carl Wimmer has been hired as the Nevada Republican Party's political director, party officials confirmed Monday.
Wimmer is expected to start work Wednesday at the party's Las Vegas headquarters, where he'll be working with Executive Director Jesse Law to handle day-to-day operations.
Wimmer said his family will continue to reside in Herriman while he commutes to Nevada "for a while — until we see if that's what we want to be doing."
Law said Wimmer will be charged with uniting a state party that has gone through some turmoil and turnover in its membership and leadership.
"Carl is tremendous when it comes to uniting folks," Law said. "Most importantly, in my opinion, is he's a very skilled fundraiser."
Wimmer served in the Utah House from 2007-2011 before stepping down to run in the state's new 4th Congressional District seat. He was eliminated from the race during the state convention in April, when Saratoga Springs Mayor Mia Love received 70.5 percent of the delegate vote in the second round of voting.
Despite taking a job out of state, Wimmer said he's keeping his options open for future political campaigns in Utah.
"Right now, my primary focus is working to make sure Nevada delivers a Republican victory in November," he said.
Law said the Nevada Republican Party usually adds a political director each election cycle. Wimmer's position, however, is different in that party officials see it as continuing past November.
"We're turning a new page," he said. "With Carl's skills, we intend to keep him around as long as possible."
- LDS Church relationship with Boy Scouts in...
- LDS Church 're-evaluating' Scouting program...
- Profane and acclaimed: 'The Book of Mormon'...
- Wright Words: Younger sister is living...
- Living — or dying — with...
- With Boston out, another Salt Lake Olympics...
- Sandy mailman's plea for books gets worldwide...
- Which U.S. cities are the best for upward...
- LDS Church relationship with Boy Scouts... 260
- LDS Church 're-evaluating' Scouting... 97
- Mike Lee plotting tricky maneuver to... 87
- Profane and acclaimed: 'The Book of... 68
- Most Utahns oppose Supreme Court ruling... 61
- Does secret southern Utah meeting mean... 53
- Lee takes on new strategy in fight... 45
- Is report on building prison in Draper... 35