UVU wrestling: Fager leads UVU by placing sixth at University Nationals
AKRON, Ohio - Utah Valley University grappler Adam Fager led a group of nine Wolverine wrestlers who participated at the 2012 ASICS University Nationals this past weekend by placing sixth in the 96 kg Freestyle championship that was held in Akron, Ohio.
Fager started his placement run by winning his first four bouts to put him into the semis against Dustin Kilgore, the reigning National Champion from Kent State. After falling to Kilgore, the Wolverine redshirt sophomore then won the first period over Minnesota's Scott Schiller in the consolation semifinal, but Schiller bounced back and won the next two periods to take the match. Fager then finished sixth by falling to 2012 All-American Micah Burak from Penn in the fifth-place bout.
"It was great for our guys to have a chance to wrestle against this level of competition at this tournament, which included national champions and All-Americans" UVU head coach Greg Williams said. "It was a good tournament for Adam. It's exciting that he placed at this level of a tournament, and he and all nine of our guys will go back and work on what they learned from being here."
Behind Fager, Napoleon Aniciete (74 kg), Monte Schmalhaus (79 kg) and Derek Thomas (84 kg) each went 2-2 at the tournament. Sam Mecham (66 kg) also finished 1-2, while Blake Mangum (60 kg),Andrew Orr (74 kg), Logan Addis (74 kg) and David Prieto (84 kg) went 0-2.
Complete results from the tournament can be found by visiting TrackWrestling.com
James Warnick is an assistant sports information director at Utah Valley University. For more information about Wolverine athletics, visit www.WolverineGreen.com
- Utes leave the Big House with a large win, 26-10
- Big plays lift No. 21 BYU past Virginia
- BYU football: Virginia disappointed but...
- Dick Harmon: Virginia tries for upset, but...
- College football: Utes wrap up...
- Brad Rock: Utah's Travis Wilson needs another...
- BYU's Arellano makes big impact in win over...
- Sunday morning quarterback: Stars and stats...
- Utah football: Utes' 2015 schedule... 108
- Brad Rock: LaVell, McBride not OK with... 73
- Red and Blue Recruits: Breaking down... 65
- Utes leave the Big House with a large... 61
- Utah football enemy camp: 5 questions... 46
- Go long? So far, deep passes not a big... 40
- Big plays lift No. 21 BYU past Virginia 40
- 7 reasons why the BYU Cougars will go... 34