UVU wrestling: Fager leads UVU by placing sixth at University Nationals
AKRON, Ohio - Utah Valley University grappler Adam Fager led a group of nine Wolverine wrestlers who participated at the 2012 ASICS University Nationals this past weekend by placing sixth in the 96 kg Freestyle championship that was held in Akron, Ohio.
Fager started his placement run by winning his first four bouts to put him into the semis against Dustin Kilgore, the reigning National Champion from Kent State. After falling to Kilgore, the Wolverine redshirt sophomore then won the first period over Minnesota's Scott Schiller in the consolation semifinal, but Schiller bounced back and won the next two periods to take the match. Fager then finished sixth by falling to 2012 All-American Micah Burak from Penn in the fifth-place bout.
"It was great for our guys to have a chance to wrestle against this level of competition at this tournament, which included national champions and All-Americans" UVU head coach Greg Williams said. "It was a good tournament for Adam. It's exciting that he placed at this level of a tournament, and he and all nine of our guys will go back and work on what they learned from being here."
Behind Fager, Napoleon Aniciete (74 kg), Monte Schmalhaus (79 kg) and Derek Thomas (84 kg) each went 2-2 at the tournament. Sam Mecham (66 kg) also finished 1-2, while Blake Mangum (60 kg),Andrew Orr (74 kg), Logan Addis (74 kg) and David Prieto (84 kg) went 0-2.
Complete results from the tournament can be found by visiting TrackWrestling.com
James Warnick is an assistant sports information director at Utah Valley University. For more information about Wolverine athletics, visit www.WolverineGreen.com
- Dick Harmon: Taysom Hill steals center stage...
- Fast start propels BYU past UConn, 35-10
- BYU's suspended players expected to be back...
- BYU coach, players answer questions at fireside
- High school football: Friday's roundup
- Dick Harmon: BYU victory comes with 4 rookies...
- Saturday morning quarterback: 3 stars and...
- Daniel Sorensen makes Chiefs 53-man roster,...
- College football predictions: How will... 141
- The good, the bad and the most likely:... 63
- First steps: Utes open season with... 63
- It's go time for the Utes: Utah kicks... 57
- Fast start propels BYU past UConn, 35-10 56
- CBS Sports analyst predicts BYU to Big... 55
- Brad Rock: One thing already missing in... 50
- Brad Rock: What the Utes now know: very... 48