Approximately 130 million Americans don't have any dental insurance, according to a recent report from the U.S. Senate.
Private health insurance plans usually don't provide dental benefits, according to the report. Plans that do include dental benefits tend to be very expensive, as they require a high level of cost-sharing. Traditional Medicare does not include dental benefits.
About 25 percent of Americans 65 and older have lost all of their teeth and 42 of Americans have no dental coverage at all, according to the report. The maximum payouts for dental insurance are usually about $1,000 to $2,000 a year, according to SmartMoney. So for procedures such as root canals, individuals will have to pay a considerable amount of their own money.
Less than 3 percent of people with dental coverage met or surpassed their cap in 2009, according to the most recent survey by the National Association of Dental Providers.
- Orem’s most notorious eyesore to be...
- Homes sales down in Salt Lake County for...
- New Utah winter tourism campaign unveiled
- How saving for retirement requires change in...
- Solar power skates online at Utah Olympic Oval
- Balancing act: Stress, burnout, mistakes top...
- Local economy predicted to grow in 2015
- Group outlines long-term plan to bolster...
- Orem’s most notorious eyesore to... 10
- Group outlines long-term plan to... 9
- Charity, it does a body good 3
- Stocks mostly lower as oil sinks,... 2
- Apple CEO Tim Cook says Apple Pay a... 1
- How saving for retirement requires... 1
- 1 proposal comes in for Salt Lake... 1
- Homes sales down in Salt Lake County... 1