Reader voices: I followed an apostle's words and received the promised blessing
Elder Scott then said: "The scriptures depict how an individual's capacity to conquer difficulty, doubt, and seemingly inusurmountable challenges is strengthened by the Lord in time of need. As you ponder such examples, there will come a quiet confirmation through the Holy Spirit that their experiences are true. You will come to know that similar help is available to you."
He continued: "I have seen individuals encountering challenges who knew what to do when it was beyond their own experience because they trusted in the Lord and knew that He would guide them to solutions that were urgently required."
He also had a much needed final word of encouragement:
"As you continue to live righteously, you will always be prompted to know what to do. Sometimes the discovery of what action to take may require significant effort and trust on your part. Yet you will be prompted to know what to do as you meet the conditions for such divine guidance in your life, namely, obedience to the commandments of the Lord, trust in His divine plan of happiness, and the avoidance of anything that is contrary to it."
The clock ticking, I put away my scriptures and readied myself for the endowment session, but not without first giving thanks for having received the urgently needed inspiration of the Lord.
I now have a new challenge. One that seems infinitely harder to deal with than the one I initially prayed about. Indeed, it is a daily — sometimes even moment by moment — struggle.
But I have more peace today than I did before because I now have a testimony of a pattern whereby I may receive revelation. I'm thankful to my Heavenly Father for providing prophets and apostles and I know that by following their counsel one will draw closer to the one who has sent them.
- LDS missionaries developing strategies to...
- Mormon missionaries shine shoes, teach the...
- LDS Church alters Christmas devotional tradition
- Christmas lights on Temple Square in pictures...
- In Our Lovely Deseret: Mark Twain and Winston...
- Mormon-raised Paul Walker remembered for...
- Pres. Monson teaches Christmas is the time to...
- Nelson Mandela's faith made him a worldwide...
- LDS missionaries developing strategies... 63
- LDS Church alters Christmas devotional... 26
- Defending the Faith: 'Pleased as man... 22
- What's new: 'Women and the Priesthood'... 21
- Mormon missionaries shine shoes, teach... 21
- Space and religion: How believers view... 13
- Tips for LDS bloggers from the... 8
- In Our Lovely Deseret: Mark Twain and... 8