Reader voices: I followed an apostle's words and received the promised blessing
Elder Scott then said: "The scriptures depict how an individual's capacity to conquer difficulty, doubt, and seemingly inusurmountable challenges is strengthened by the Lord in time of need. As you ponder such examples, there will come a quiet confirmation through the Holy Spirit that their experiences are true. You will come to know that similar help is available to you."
He continued: "I have seen individuals encountering challenges who knew what to do when it was beyond their own experience because they trusted in the Lord and knew that He would guide them to solutions that were urgently required."
He also had a much needed final word of encouragement:
"As you continue to live righteously, you will always be prompted to know what to do. Sometimes the discovery of what action to take may require significant effort and trust on your part. Yet you will be prompted to know what to do as you meet the conditions for such divine guidance in your life, namely, obedience to the commandments of the Lord, trust in His divine plan of happiness, and the avoidance of anything that is contrary to it."
The clock ticking, I put away my scriptures and readied myself for the endowment session, but not without first giving thanks for having received the urgently needed inspiration of the Lord.
I now have a new challenge. One that seems infinitely harder to deal with than the one I initially prayed about. Indeed, it is a daily — sometimes even moment by moment — struggle.
But I have more peace today than I did before because I now have a testimony of a pattern whereby I may receive revelation. I'm thankful to my Heavenly Father for providing prophets and apostles and I know that by following their counsel one will draw closer to the one who has sent them.
- Defending the Faith: Joseph, the stone and...
- Returning LDS missionary, father battling...
- 'A marvellous work and a wonder': A look back...
- Why I don’t call myself a ‘Mormon...
- Heaven can wait, Christian bookstore chain says
- 18 must-see attractions on and around Temple...
- Significant LDS Church history discovery made
- Finding faith in an anatomy lab
- Defending the Faith: Joseph, the stone... 99
- Why I don’t call myself a... 87
- Hamblin & Peterson: Do religions try to... 52
- What Mormons should know about NBC's... 51
- 'A marvellous work and a wonder': A... 36
- Kara Tippetts, Christian who blogged... 25
- Why Ted Cruz launched his presidential... 17
- Heaven can wait, Christian bookstore... 17