Book review: 'Operation: Montauk' is a time-traveling adventure
"OPERATION: MONTAUK," by Bryan Young, $14.99, 226 pages (f)
Imagine traveling back in time in a military personnel track vehicle time machine. When Jack Mallory does, he wakes up to find his squad is being eaten by dinosaurs. And so begins local journalist Bryan Young’s new book “Operation: Montauk.”
Mallory is an American fighting the Germans during World War II, and his mission is to travel back in time to kill Adolf Hitler before he comes into power. Time travel causes blackouts and the characters don’t arrive in the time they requested, instead being thrown a million years into the past and surrounded by dinosaurs.
And other people from different points of the future have also ended back in the dinosaur era and they save Mallory from the dinosaurs. As they try to fix this version of the time machine, the clock is ticking as characters race to leave before a meteor destroys the world.
Other characters have missions to change history for the better throughout this story full of twists and turns. Readers will be on the edge of their seats from start to finish as they meet futuristic scientists on a spaceship to World War II soldiers.
Young, a Utahn, did his research and describes historically accurate World War II battles.
This is an easy read without inappropriate language, despite the violent scenes describing torture and killing. The ongoing romances in the book doesn't go beyond kissing.
If you go ...
What: Bryan Young booking signing and "Operation Montauk" book launch
When: Friday, June 8, 7 p.m.
Where: The King's English, 1511 S. 1500 East, Salt Lake City
- Profane, award-winning 'Book of Mormon'...
- Dead Sea Scrolls exhibit offers chance to...
- Kids are still reading 'Calvin and Hobbes'
- Dancing for Food: Dance event raises $40K for...
- First look at modernized 'Annie' produced by...
- 'Pay the price or go dark': Going digital a...
- Brandon Mull's new 'Sky Raiders' shares...
- Instead of 'Game of Thrones,' there are...
- Profane, award-winning 'Book of Mormon'... 62
- Director Darren Aronofsky’s... 20
- Instead of 'Game of Thrones,' there are... 11
- 'Pay the price or go dark': Going... 9
- Kids are still reading 'Calvin and Hobbes' 7
- Dead Sea Scrolls exhibit offers chance... 5
- PBS science correspondent Miles O'Brien... 1
- First look at modernized 'Annie'... 1