Laura Seitz, Deseret News
Beginning Aug. 1, the Mormon Tabernacle Choir will have a new president.
Mac Christensen, president of the Mormon Tabernacle Choir since 2000, will be released from that calling in The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints, according to a letter read to Tabernacle Choir members during Thursday night's rehearsal.
Ron Jarrett, a former Tabernacle Choir member who served as an assistant to Christensen in the choir organization, will take over as choir president on Aug. 1. As president Jarrett will manage the choir's operations, staff and marketing. He will also oversee the choir's administrative components, making sure that programs stay within budget and managing the myriad of details associated with running the choir and the Orchestra at Temple Square.
"Serving as the president of the Mormon Tabernacle Choir is one of the choicest calls in the entire church," Christensen said in the letter announcing the change, adding that he is "thrilled" that the LDS Church's First Presidency has called "one of our own" to replace him.
"For all of us involved this is truly a win-win situation," Christensen said.
Christensen is widely known in Utah as the founder of Mr. Mac, a chain of clothing retail stores. He previously served as director of the LDS Church's Washington D.C. Temple Visitors Center.
Jarrett and his wife, Lucie, are currently serving as public affairs missionaries for the LDS Church in Germany. They will return to Utah from Germany in time for him to assume his new duties with the choir in August.
"I am honored to receive this new assignment and follow Mac Christensen as president of the Mormon Tabernacle Choir, Jarrett said. I look forward to again working with this world-class organization that changes lives through inspirational music."
- Mourning family of Mormon missionary finds...
- Astronomers find massive black hole in tiny...
- Darrien's day: Controversy put aside as man...
- 5 reasons why Utah is a great place to live
- Big screen 'Maze Runner' is a big dream come...
- Supporters for traditional marriage focus on...
- World War II veterans grateful for...
- Mom battling cancer determined to live for...
- Supporters for traditional marriage... 62
- Police break silence about... 50
- Utah has some of the rudest drivers,... 39
- Friends, family, strangers gather at... 35
- New definition of homeless would give... 28
- Utah, Western states say feds are all... 26
- 5 reasons why Utah is a great place to... 20
- Protest ride results in charges against... 20