Registered sex offender charged with unlawful contact with 13-year-old
WEST JORDAN — A man on the state sex offender registry has been charged in 3rd District Court for having sex with a 13-year-old girl.
Steven Ray Kunkel, 29, was charged with unlawful sexual activity with a minor, a third-degree felony.
According to the arrest warrant filed last week, on Oct. 1, 2009, and Oct. 1, 2010, a girl — who was 13 in 2009 and 14 in 2010 — had sex with Kunkel and four others. West Jordan police Friday said the four others were juveniles, but they declined further comment on that case stating it was still under investigation.
West Jordan police did not comment on a possible motive or where the girl was when she had alleged sexual contact with five people. Under the definition of the charge, however, unlawful sexual activity with a minor is filed when a case does not rise to the level of rape.
In 2002, Kunkel was charged in 3rd District Court with six counts of unlawful sexual activity with a minor, all third-degree felonies. He plead guilty to one count in exchange for the five others being dismissed, according to court records. He was given a suspended prison sentence and ordered to undergo both sex offender and substance abuse treatment.
But Kunkel soon violated his probation and he was sent to the Utah State Prison to serve the remainder of his time.
- Video: How to choose the right helmet for...
- ACLU sues the state over inadequate legal...
- Body of missing hiker found above Alta
- Documents: Former teacher says he used to...
- Nearly 70 percent of Utahns say Donald Trump...
- Costco begins new credit card agreement
- Worthy of celebration: 99-year history of...
- Syracuse woman killed in Antelope Drive crash
- Immigration ruling called hurtful, a... 75
- Nearly 70 percent of Utahns say Donald... 62
- Love won't go to GOP national convention 32
- Arches Health Plan shutdown leaves $33... 30
- U. stadium gets bigger scoreboard,... 29
- ACLU sues the state over inadequate... 26
- Utah GOP brings up father's bank... 25
- Rio Grande neighborhood 'more unsafe... 21