Registered sex offender charged with unlawful contact with 13-year-old
WEST JORDAN — A man on the state sex offender registry has been charged in 3rd District Court for having sex with a 13-year-old girl.
Steven Ray Kunkel, 29, was charged with unlawful sexual activity with a minor, a third-degree felony.
According to the arrest warrant filed last week, on Oct. 1, 2009, and Oct. 1, 2010, a girl — who was 13 in 2009 and 14 in 2010 — had sex with Kunkel and four others. West Jordan police Friday said the four others were juveniles, but they declined further comment on that case stating it was still under investigation.
West Jordan police did not comment on a possible motive or where the girl was when she had alleged sexual contact with five people. Under the definition of the charge, however, unlawful sexual activity with a minor is filed when a case does not rise to the level of rape.
In 2002, Kunkel was charged in 3rd District Court with six counts of unlawful sexual activity with a minor, all third-degree felonies. He plead guilty to one count in exchange for the five others being dismissed, according to court records. He was given a suspended prison sentence and ordered to undergo both sex offender and substance abuse treatment.
But Kunkel soon violated his probation and he was sent to the Utah State Prison to serve the remainder of his time.
- Boy Scouts in Utah, nation face uncertain future
- LDS Church relationship with Boy Scouts in...
- Sandy mailman's plea for books gets worldwide...
- Utah natives receive rave reviews, make 'So...
- Wright Words: Younger sister is living...
- Body found in suitcase near Saltair identified
- Which U.S. cities are the best for upward...
- What consumers need to know about chip...
- LDS Church relationship with Boy Scouts... 292
- Boy Scouts in Utah, nation face... 128
- LDS Church 're-evaluating' Scouting... 101
- Mike Lee plotting tricky maneuver to... 88
- Profane and acclaimed: 'The Book of... 74
- Most Utahns oppose Supreme Court ruling... 65
- Lee takes on new strategy in fight... 45
- Is report on building prison in Draper... 35