Home prices in Utah rose for first time since 2008 due to tighter supply
Ravell Call, Deseret News
Median home prices in Utah rose 2.7 percent to $178,150 in April due to tightened supplies, marking the first annual gain since 2008.
The average sales price on homes also increased by 5.2 percent to $237,029 from $225,234 last year. April marks the second consecutive month of price increases.
“As inventory headed down during the first part of the year, buyers began competing with each other for properties,” Lori Chapman, president of the Utah Association of Realtors, said in a statement. “That competition for tighter supplies led to higher prices in April.
Supplies of new homes thinned over the past year, dropping about 24 percent. Utah had 20,119 properties for sale at the end of April, which represents a 6.9-month supply of inventory.
“A market balanced between buyers and sellers is typically in the six- to seven-month range,” Chapman said in the statement.
Some areas have seen larger price jumps because of tighter supplies.
Uintah County saw a nearly 39 percent increase in prices to $182,000 in April compared to $131,250 last year. The county’s supply was at 4.4 months, which is 2.5 months less than the state.
Salt Lake County experienced a 3.7 percent increase in prices because of its five-month supply of inventory.
- Yellen faces GOP criticism over weak economic...
- How the UK could remain in the EU even if it...
- US new-home sales tumbled in May after a...
- Markets reel as world absorbs shock of UK...
- Michelle Singletary: Should you replace your...
- Dave Ramsey says: You might not need life...
- New FAA rules on drone use could help local...
- How the Brexit could affect U.S. businesses...
- Trial ordered for politician accused of... 7
- Costco begins new credit card agreement 4
- Emery County defrauded out of nearly... 4
- What Costco shoppers should know about... 4
- GOP gubernatorial candidate Jonathan... 4
- Yellen faces GOP criticism over weak... 3
- Michelle Singletary: Should you replace... 3
- Delta pilots picket for better pay in... 3