David Iba, Utah Valley University Athletics
OREM, Utah -- Utah Valley University senior Billy Burgess was named to the Capital One Academic All-America® Third Team on Friday, as selected by the College Sports Information Directors of America (CoSIDA). Burgess is an exercise science major with a 3.85 cumulative GPA.
He is the first UVU athlete to receive Capital One Academic All-America® from CoSIDA in the school's NCAA Division I era.
Burgess helped lead the Wolverines to their third straight Great West Conference regular season and tournament titles, capping his career off last week by earning conference tournament MVP honors. His eighth-inning home run broke a 4-4 tie in UVU's championship-clinching win over Houston Baptist last Saturday.
Also a first-team All-Great West Conference selection, Burgess hit .396 with seven home runs, 16 doubles, 88 hits and 65 RBIs.
Along with teammates Kai Hatch and Austin Heaps, he received Capital One Academic All-District VIII honors on May 4 to be eligible for All-America. Burgess was also an academic all-district selection in 2011 as a junior.
Clint Burgi is the assistant athletic director for sports information at Utah Valley University. For more information on Wolverine athletics, visit WolverineGreen.com.
- Newcomers enjoy BYU hoops debut in Cougar Tipoff
- Red and Blue Recruits: Examining the...
- Live streams: 2A & 3A volleyball championship...
- High school football: Improbable final play...
- Felt's Facts, playoff edition: Newcomers,...
- Former BYU pitcher Jeremy Guthrie's little...
- Mormons in the rodeo: LDS competitors find...
- Utah Jazz fall to Rockets on opening night
- BYU needs win at Middle Tennessee to... 78
- Misery loves company: BYU football No.... 58
- Utes lose Dres Anderson to a knee injury 54
- High school football: State tournament... 50
- BYU coach Bronco Mendenhall gives... 46
- Poppinga has endured dark times before,... 42
- BYU men, women both picked to finish... 32
- Red and Blue Recruits: Examining the... 30