Senators propose controversial changes to immigrant visa policies
Young immigrants, so long as they are "highly skilled," may soon find it easier to obtain legal status and ultimately work in the United States after a proposal to change visa restrictions was suggested by Democratic and Republican senators earlier this week.
"A bipartisan group of four senators proposed on Tuesday easing visa limits for highly skilled immigrants and foreign students, a move that challenges congressional leaders on their fixed positions on the issue of immigration during an election year," Jonathan Weisman reported in a New York Times article.
Their proposal is just one more effort to resuscitate a struggling economy and hinges on the idea that jobs will be created and expanded, especially in areas that are critical for America's future success in an increasingly competitive global arena.
- Heroes 2014: Ex-CIA officer uses...
- Photo gallery: Christmas around the world
- On Christmas, Obama marks end of Afghan combat
- Officer kills armed 18-year-old near Ferguson
- Bad Santa? 5 tips to tackle your holiday gift...
- Our six heroes of 2014
- How to help find a cure for Ebola from the...
- Capacity crowds pack screenings of 'The...
- NYPD: Cop ambush killer told passers-by... 15
- Going it alone, Obama rocked the boat... 14
- Obama 's Christmas in Hawaii: Carols,... 13
- Officer kills armed 18-year-old near... 11
- Key developments in the case of slain... 10
- Pope in blistering critique of Vatican... 9
- Senate, CIA agree torture program was... 6
- Sony announces limited release for 'The... 5