Senators propose controversial changes to immigrant visa policies
Young immigrants, so long as they are "highly skilled," may soon find it easier to obtain legal status and ultimately work in the United States after a proposal to change visa restrictions was suggested by Democratic and Republican senators earlier this week.
"A bipartisan group of four senators proposed on Tuesday easing visa limits for highly skilled immigrants and foreign students, a move that challenges congressional leaders on their fixed positions on the issue of immigration during an election year," Jonathan Weisman reported in a New York Times article.
Their proposal is just one more effort to resuscitate a struggling economy and hinges on the idea that jobs will be created and expanded, especially in areas that are critical for America's future success in an increasingly competitive global arena.
- International tax competitiveness report: See...
- 'Maze Runner' races past 'Tombstones' with...
- 11 best—and worst—state tax systems
- White House intruder identified as Army...
- It's not just young people — seniors...
- Ex-stepson: White House intruder meant no harm
- Why a parent going to prison can be worse...
- Thousands march in NYC, around globe over...
- Striking or spanking a child is not a... 20
- School police stock up on free military... 11
- Yellen says US families need to boost... 10
- Security breached: Intruder gets into... 9
- How much America wants to be taxed 9
- Thousands march in NYC, around globe... 7
- It's not just young people —... 7
- Iranian youth behind 'Happy' video... 6