Shane Truskolaski, Utah Valley Athletics
OREM, Utah -- Goose Kallunki has been named First Team Louisville Slugger All-America by Collegiate Baseball newspaper. The Utah Valley University senior is the first Wolverine to receive first-team honors and the program’s third All-American in as many years.
Kallunki led UVU to a 47-win season and its third straight Great West Conference regular season and tournament titles. The Orem native leads all DI players with 86 RBIs and is among the leaders in batting (.419), home runs (18), slugging (.734), OPS (1.215), hits (96) and total bases (168).
He was twice named a Louisville Slugger National Player of the Week during the season, including May 7 when Collegiate Baseball became the first publication to rank Utah Valley in the program’s NCAA DI era, at 27th overall. The Wolverines are currently ranked 27th by the National College Baseball Writers Association (NCBWA).
Kallunki received the Great West Player of the Year award and is also a semifinalist for both the Dick Howser Trophy and the Golden Spikes Award. The Dick Howser Trophy is given to the top player in collegiate baseball by the NCBWA and narrowed its list of semifinalists to 35 players. The Golden Spikes Award, given to the top amateur baseball player in the country, included Kallunki on its list of final 30 players.
Behind the first baseman’s All-America season, Utah Valley put together a 32-game win streak, and prior to the start of this weekend’s NCAA regionals, the Wolverines rank first on the nation in wins (47), team batting (.350), runs (532), RBIs (481), slugging (.523) and on-base percentage (.436).
This marks the 16th year that Louisville Slugger has sponsored the Division I All-Americans.
Clint Burgi is the assistant athletic director for sports information at Utah Valley University. For more information on Wolverine athletics, visit WolverineGreen.com.
- Heisman Trophy tracker, week 5: Taysom Hill...
- BYU football: LB commit Jeremiah Ieremia says...
- Honoring a legend: BYU star quarterback Jim...
- Danny Ainge speaks about career, Mormon faith
- Some surprises, lots of defense, on first day...
- BYU Cougars video: Jeff Call tells us what to...
- Doug Robinson: Making sense of retired...
- Former walk-on Kyle Johnson has become BYU's...
- Opportunity lost: Utes squander lead,... 295
- BYU takes advantage of the bye week,... 93
- Things won't get any easier for... 82
- For BYU, Utah State is 'featured... 60
- Brad Rock: Guaranteed wins don't exist... 54
- Quarterback Travis Wilson, Utes... 44
- Dick Harmon: Undefeated BYU is on... 39
- Dick Harmon: How will Utes slow down... 31