Shane Truskolaski, Utah Valley Athletics
OREM, Utah -- Goose Kallunki has been named First Team Louisville Slugger All-America by Collegiate Baseball newspaper. The Utah Valley University senior is the first Wolverine to receive first-team honors and the program’s third All-American in as many years.
Kallunki led UVU to a 47-win season and its third straight Great West Conference regular season and tournament titles. The Orem native leads all DI players with 86 RBIs and is among the leaders in batting (.419), home runs (18), slugging (.734), OPS (1.215), hits (96) and total bases (168).
He was twice named a Louisville Slugger National Player of the Week during the season, including May 7 when Collegiate Baseball became the first publication to rank Utah Valley in the program’s NCAA DI era, at 27th overall. The Wolverines are currently ranked 27th by the National College Baseball Writers Association (NCBWA).
Kallunki received the Great West Player of the Year award and is also a semifinalist for both the Dick Howser Trophy and the Golden Spikes Award. The Dick Howser Trophy is given to the top player in collegiate baseball by the NCBWA and narrowed its list of semifinalists to 35 players. The Golden Spikes Award, given to the top amateur baseball player in the country, included Kallunki on its list of final 30 players.
Behind the first baseman’s All-America season, Utah Valley put together a 32-game win streak, and prior to the start of this weekend’s NCAA regionals, the Wolverines rank first on the nation in wins (47), team batting (.350), runs (532), RBIs (481), slugging (.523) and on-base percentage (.436).
This marks the 16th year that Louisville Slugger has sponsored the Division I All-Americans.
Clint Burgi is the assistant athletic director for sports information at Utah Valley University. For more information on Wolverine athletics, visit WolverineGreen.com.
- Back for an encore: Taysom Hill working to be...
- BYU football fall practice position preview:...
- Mendenhall comfortable with BYU's quarterback...
- Recruiting central: Top 25 prep football...
- Fall camp position previews: BYU, Utah and...
- An early look at the preseason Heisman hopefuls
- High school football: Louis Wong, Tony...
- Rock On: Kyle Whittingham's happy face
- Brad Rock: BYU, Utah — married... 103
- Utah quarterback Travis Wilson cited... 97
- 'It all came together': 30 years later,... 94
- Back for an encore: Taysom Hill working... 49
- Playoffs ‘almost... 36
- Former Ute Zane Beadles donates... 27
- Rock On: Kyle Whittingham's happy face 25
- BYU cornerback Jordan Johnson has... 24