USU track and field: Howell named to Capital One Academic All-District VIII first-team
Utah State men's track and field senior distance runner Daniel Howell was named to the 2011-12 Capital One Academic All-District VIII men's track & field/cross country first-team, as announced by the College Sports Information Directors of America (CoSIDA) Thursday.
This marks the third straight year that Howell has received CoSIDA Capital One Academic All-District honors. He was named to the 2010 second-team and 2011 first-team, while also receiving 2011 Capital One Academic All-American third-team honors. He also received academic all-district honors from the United States Track & Field and Cross Country Coaches Association (USTFCCCA) in 2010 and 2011, along with being a 10-time academic all-WAC honoree.
Howell has a 3.963 GPA majoring in wildlife sciences and rangeland resources. He is a 13-time first-team all-WAC honoree during his Utah State cross country and track career. Howell won the 3,000m and 5,000m at the 2012 WAC Indoor Championships, while also capturing the 3,000m steeplechase and 5,000m titles at the 2012 WAC Outdoor Championships. He also placed fourth at the 2011 WAC Cross Country Championships.
At the first round of the 2012 NCAA Outdoor Championships, Howell competed in two events placing 21st in the 3,000m steeplechase with a time of 9:03.38, as well as finishing 45th in the 5,000m with 15:12.85.
The Academic All-District ® teams are divided into eight geographic districts across the United States and Canada. First-team Academic All-District ® honorees advance to the Capital One Academic All-America® Team ballot, where first-, second- and third-team All-America honorees will be selected later this month.
Doug Hoffman is the assistant athletic director for Utah State University Athletic Media Relations.
- Froome crashes in Tour, finishes stage with...
- Former NFL coach Dennis Green dies at 67
- Warriors' Draymond Green settles assault case...
- Blame game follows NBA's removal of Charlotte...
- Froome keeps lead intact, set to secure 3rd...
- Ready or Not: Rio Olympics open doors at...
- 20 years ago: Palacios defends marathon title
- IOC leaders stop short of complete ban on...
- BYU football: Certain games on the... 103
- Report: Tom Holmoe tells Big 12 he's... 81
- Morning links: Utah Jazz on the rise;... 36
- BYU football coaching staff upbeat... 34
- Former BYU QB Max Hall confronts... 31
- Former BYU coach Bronco Mendenhall says... 13
- Blame game follows NBA's removal of... 7
- Doug Robinson: Why this mother of four... 5