Huntsman endorses Winder in Salt Lake County mayor's race
Kristin Murphy, Deseret News
SALT LAKE CITY — Former Gov. Jon Huntsman Jr. endorsed West Valley City Mayor Mike Winder for Salt Lake County mayor Tuesday.
Winder faces a GOP primary June 26 against Mark Crockett, a former Salt Lake County councilman. The winner of the primary will square off against the Democratic candidate for county mayor, state Sen. Ben McAdams, D-Salt Lake.
"Mike can lay claim to that which most in politics lack, a real track record of leadership and accomplishments," Huntsman said in a statement released by the Winder campaign. As governor, Huntsman appointed Winder to the Utah Board of State History.
The endorsement is Huntsman's first in a Utah race this election. After Huntsman dropped his presidential bid earlier this year, he threw his support behind the presumptive GOP nominee, Mitt Romney.
- Missing oilfield worker's body found near Vernal
- Jenna Kim Jones: The new, cool face of Mormonism
- Was pregnancy rumor a factor in killing of...
- We were there: See Deseret News front pages...
- Chris and Sally Mart create a refuge for...
- Researchers: Patients have only themselves to...
- Two men charged with vandalizing LDS church...
- Friend says wrong-way driver 'wasn't in his...
- Utahns not as strongly opposed to... 80
- Love not attending Salt Lake City... 58
- Federal government extends same-sex... 37
- Autopsy shows man posed no threat to... 24
- Jenna Kim Jones: The new, cool face of... 20
- Police arrest 3 suspected of... 15
- Risque video shoots trigger... 14
- Housing recovery slowest since World... 12