Huntsman endorses Winder in Salt Lake County mayor's race
Kristin Murphy, Deseret News
SALT LAKE CITY — Former Gov. Jon Huntsman Jr. endorsed West Valley City Mayor Mike Winder for Salt Lake County mayor Tuesday.
Winder faces a GOP primary June 26 against Mark Crockett, a former Salt Lake County councilman. The winner of the primary will square off against the Democratic candidate for county mayor, state Sen. Ben McAdams, D-Salt Lake.
"Mike can lay claim to that which most in politics lack, a real track record of leadership and accomplishments," Huntsman said in a statement released by the Winder campaign. As governor, Huntsman appointed Winder to the Utah Board of State History.
The endorsement is Huntsman's first in a Utah race this election. After Huntsman dropped his presidential bid earlier this year, he threw his support behind the presumptive GOP nominee, Mitt Romney.
- Lessons from Napa: Earthquake warns Utahns of...
- Man stole ring, woman swallowed it, police say
- World-renowned rock art in Utah is younger...
- No timeline announced yet for Cottonwood Mall...
- Doug Robinson: The Birdman of Utah
- Circleville farmers scratching their heads...
- Part police cruiser, part taxi,...
- About Utah: A Salt Lake hit for 152 years ......
- Attorney general deciding whether to... 41
- Running again? Mitt Romney tells Hugh... 39
- Becky Lockhart serious about... 31
- Gay rights activists to fight charges... 22
- Police reviewing possible nightclub... 16
- Winning plaintiffs in 3 states want... 14
- Solar energy users claim victory as... 14
- Utah mother who left 11-month-old in... 13