Huntsman endorses Winder in Salt Lake County mayor's race
Kristin Murphy, Deseret News
SALT LAKE CITY — Former Gov. Jon Huntsman Jr. endorsed West Valley City Mayor Mike Winder for Salt Lake County mayor Tuesday.
Winder faces a GOP primary June 26 against Mark Crockett, a former Salt Lake County councilman. The winner of the primary will square off against the Democratic candidate for county mayor, state Sen. Ben McAdams, D-Salt Lake.
"Mike can lay claim to that which most in politics lack, a real track record of leadership and accomplishments," Huntsman said in a statement released by the Winder campaign. As governor, Huntsman appointed Winder to the Utah Board of State History.
The endorsement is Huntsman's first in a Utah race this election. After Huntsman dropped his presidential bid earlier this year, he threw his support behind the presumptive GOP nominee, Mitt Romney.
- Dad who placed ad for a wife for his son gets...
- Prosecutors: Dad, son fleeing police killed...
- Quiz: Name that movie (filmed in Utah)
- Quiz: Who said it?: Utah coaches edition
- Quiz: Which Utah attraction should you road...
- Costco begins new credit card agreement
- How the tech industry grew a rural Utah town...
- Primary Children's Hospital chaplains laugh,...
- U. stadium gets bigger scoreboard,... 71
- 45 new locations open to provide free... 38
- Love won't go to GOP national convention 34
- Supreme Court abortion decision could... 31
- Arches Health Plan shutdown leaves $33... 30
- Will 'Brexit' vote help Trump in Utah? 26
- Utah GOP brings up father's bank... 25
- Rep. Love hosts poverty discussion with... 18