Huntsman endorses Winder in Salt Lake County mayor's race
Kristin Murphy, Deseret News
SALT LAKE CITY — Former Gov. Jon Huntsman Jr. endorsed West Valley City Mayor Mike Winder for Salt Lake County mayor Tuesday.
Winder faces a GOP primary June 26 against Mark Crockett, a former Salt Lake County councilman. The winner of the primary will square off against the Democratic candidate for county mayor, state Sen. Ben McAdams, D-Salt Lake.
"Mike can lay claim to that which most in politics lack, a real track record of leadership and accomplishments," Huntsman said in a statement released by the Winder campaign. As governor, Huntsman appointed Winder to the Utah Board of State History.
The endorsement is Huntsman's first in a Utah race this election. After Huntsman dropped his presidential bid earlier this year, he threw his support behind the presumptive GOP nominee, Mitt Romney.
- 'Inseparable' Clinton brothers killed in...
- Union Pacific train makes special delivery...
- Community rallies for Kamas family after...
- West Nile activity discovered in three Utah...
- Utah State Fairpark and Real Salt Lake team...
- Pioneer Day celebrations set throughout Utah
- Embattled doctor surrenders Utah medical license
- Dancing stars Julianne and Derek Hough visit...
- Supreme Court issues stay in Utah gay... 80
- Herbert among 6 governors raising... 33
- Utah unemployment rate second lowest in... 19
- South Jordan councilman wants school... 18
- Anti-porn rally aims at keeping... 15
- Brain injury changes the lives and... 15
- 'Inseparable' Clinton brothers killed... 13
- Union Pacific train makes special... 13