Huntsman endorses Winder in Salt Lake County mayor's race
Kristin Murphy, Deseret News
SALT LAKE CITY — Former Gov. Jon Huntsman Jr. endorsed West Valley City Mayor Mike Winder for Salt Lake County mayor Tuesday.
Winder faces a GOP primary June 26 against Mark Crockett, a former Salt Lake County councilman. The winner of the primary will square off against the Democratic candidate for county mayor, state Sen. Ben McAdams, D-Salt Lake.
"Mike can lay claim to that which most in politics lack, a real track record of leadership and accomplishments," Huntsman said in a statement released by the Winder campaign. As governor, Huntsman appointed Winder to the Utah Board of State History.
The endorsement is Huntsman's first in a Utah race this election. After Huntsman dropped his presidential bid earlier this year, he threw his support behind the presumptive GOP nominee, Mitt Romney.
- Bingham High students walk out over dress code
- President Monson rededicates Ogden Utah Temple
- Mourning family of Mormon missionary finds...
- Little Emmanuel's journey home a tale of...
- The ghosts under our feet: 88...
- Mountain lion caught in Foothill neighborhood...
- About Utah: Remembering the most brilliant...
- Mothers of kidnapped Bountiful girls speak out
- Supporters for traditional marriage... 164
- Pro same-sex marriage group responds to... 84
- Bingham High students walk out over... 45
- 5 reasons why Utah is a great place to... 38
- Police release names of officers... 37
- Poll: Utahns in favor of school... 20
- Mitt Romney to campaign for Mia Love in... 19
- Can Utah solve its surprising binge... 18