Geoff Liesik, Facebook
VERNAL — A woman who was charged with manslaughter in the death of her medically-fragile infant has entered a guilty plea to a reduced charge.
Benita Jean Shostrom, 35, pleaded guilty Wednesday in 8th District Court to child abuse, a class A misdemeanor. She originally faced a second-degree felony manslaughter charge in the death of her 7-month-old daughter.
Shostrom admitted that she was criminally negligent in the way she cared for Cali Rae Douglas on the day the infant died, according to Uintah County Attorney G. Mark Thomas.
Shostrom called 911 on June 26 and told dispatchers she'd found her daughter dead in her crib, court records state. The baby was born prematurely and had a number of medical issues, Shostrom told investigators.
A doctor had prescribed supplemental oxygen for the baby. Detectives said they found oxygen tanks in Shostrom's home, but determined that oxygen was not being administered as prescribed at the time of Douglas' death.
Shostrom admitted in court that she had turned off her daughter's sleep apnea monitor and supplemental oxygen on the night the girl died, Thomas said. She also said she'd taken a Xanax before bed and slept late into the next day, according to the prosecutor.
Shostrom did not have a valid prescription for the anti-anxiety medication, sheriff's investigators said.
Sentencing is scheduled for June 12. Shostrom faces up to one year in jail and a possible fine of $1,000.
- After more than 6 years, 3 families yearn for...
- Strong winds cause damage, possibly fatal...
- Millcreek man faces child abuse homicide...
- Sen. Orrin Hatch headed to Israel to meet...
- About Utah: Want a ride to the past? Matt...
- New strategies eliminate long waitlist for...
- 7 crazy-awesome natural arches and bridges in...
- Thousands attend second Utah Lantern Fest
- Utah GOP all in for Cruz, but Trump... 59
- Dog accused of biting child ordered to... 48
- With Trump on top, Romney will not... 45
- Utah GOP leaders ready to support... 44
- Award recipient's affiliation draws ire... 36
- Climate change and national forests:... 32
- Robert F. Bennett, former three-term... 28
- GOP primary in governor's race now... 24