Geoff Liesik, Facebook
VERNAL — A woman who was charged with manslaughter in the death of her medically-fragile infant has entered a guilty plea to a reduced charge.
Benita Jean Shostrom, 35, pleaded guilty Wednesday in 8th District Court to child abuse, a class A misdemeanor. She originally faced a second-degree felony manslaughter charge in the death of her 7-month-old daughter.
Shostrom admitted that she was criminally negligent in the way she cared for Cali Rae Douglas on the day the infant died, according to Uintah County Attorney G. Mark Thomas.
Shostrom called 911 on June 26 and told dispatchers she'd found her daughter dead in her crib, court records state. The baby was born prematurely and had a number of medical issues, Shostrom told investigators.
A doctor had prescribed supplemental oxygen for the baby. Detectives said they found oxygen tanks in Shostrom's home, but determined that oxygen was not being administered as prescribed at the time of Douglas' death.
Shostrom admitted in court that she had turned off her daughter's sleep apnea monitor and supplemental oxygen on the night the girl died, Thomas said. She also said she'd taken a Xanax before bed and slept late into the next day, according to the prosecutor.
Shostrom did not have a valid prescription for the anti-anxiety medication, sheriff's investigators said.
Sentencing is scheduled for June 12. Shostrom faces up to one year in jail and a possible fine of $1,000.
- Jenna Kim Jones: The new, cool face of Mormonism
- Chris and Sally Mart create a refuge for...
- About Utah: For 95-year-old, the secret to...
- Utahns not as strongly opposed to same-sex...
- U. doctor thanks strangers who saved him,...
- Third person arrested in Carbon County...
- Utah families share tragic stories of teens...
- Preliminary hearing set for Utah mom accused...
- Educators at UEA convention told to... 40
- Federal government extends same-sex... 30
- Autopsy shows man posed no threat to... 23
- Mia Love included in a new ad... 21
- Jenna Kim Jones: The new, cool face of... 16
- Police arrest 3 suspected of... 15
- Risque video shoots trigger... 14
- Utahns not as strongly opposed to... 14