Cottonwood High School football coach Josh Lyman resigns

Published: Wednesday, May 30 2012 12:00 p.m. MDT

Cottonwood High School's head football coach Josh Lyman resigned Wednesday amid an investigation by Granite School District into allegations into allegations a female student made against Lyman.


SALT LAKE CITY — Cottonwood High School football coach Josh Lyman resigned Wednesday as a coach and teacher.

According to a short statement from the Granite School District, Lyman's resignation was accepted by the district and put an end to an investigation the school district was conducting into allegations of inappropriate physical contact made by a female student against Lyman.

Lyman's attorney, Ed Brass, said the move was prompted by Lyman's desire to pursue another job opportunity. Brass confirmed that Lyman is not pursuing a teaching position.

"He's really interested in the opportunity that has presented itself, so I think he wants this to be behind him at this point," Brass said. "He's very interested in working someplace else."

Left unanswered is just what caused Lyman's removal and resignation, and whether there was any misconduct or violation of school policies concerning his alleged conduct with the student. No criminal charges were filed in the case and the school investigation is now halted.

Granite School District Police reports — which the Deseret News acquired through a Government Records Access and Management Act request — show that 15 people provided information to police April 23 or 24, with seven listed as witnesses, and others listed as students, former students and parents. The list also included a former student, described as a second "victim."

When asked about the former student, district spokesman Ben Horsley said it was innapropriate for him to comment since the district's investigation was not concluded and no criminal charges were brought against Lyman.

Carol Lear, director of school law with the State Office of Education, said there is an educational licensing investigation into the allegations against Lyman that will continue. If his license were to be revoked, Lear said it would impede his ability to be employed in a public school setting anywhere in the country.

Horsley said officials were nearing a conclusion to their investigation, but because of Lyman's resignation, no details of the investigation will be released. District officials met with Lyman and Brass, but Horsley declined to comment on whether an agreement had been reached to suspend the investigation in exchange for Lyman's resignation.

"Because he has resigned he's not an employee, and we don't investigate people who aren't employees," he said.

Lyman has been on paid administrative leave since April 18. The Salt Lake County District Attorney's Office investigated, but declined to file criminal charges.

"The information presented in the investigation provided evidence of contact between the student and Lyman," District Attorney Sim Gill wrote in a letter to the Granite School District at the time. "However, the evidence did not support the conclusion that a crime was committed by Lyman against the student."

School officials said the student involved was 18 and that while there may have been no violations of law, there were "administrative concerns" about what is alleged to have occurred between Lyman and the student. Brass said previously that his client knew who the girl was, but had no social contact with her outside of the school.

Brass said Wednesday that because the investigation is over, there are no longer any allegations to respond to.

"I'm sure Cottonwood High School, Granite School District and Mr. Lyman would all like to move forward," Brass said.

Lyman, through his attorney, would not consent to an interview.

Try out the new DeseretNews.com design!
try beta learn more
Get The Deseret News Everywhere