For the fourth time in its seven years in the league, Utah State finished fourth in the Western Athletic Conference Commissioner's Cup standings it was announced by the league office Tuesday.
Utah State also finished fourth in the WAC Commissioner's Cup standings in 2006, 2009 and 2011, to go along with a fifth-place finish in 2007 and 2010 and a sixth-place finish in 2008.
Highlighting Utah State's 2011-12 academic year were its cross country, soccer and track programs as USU won WAC titles in men's cross country, women's soccer and women's indoor and outdoor track and field. USU also had second-place team finishes in football, women's basketball and men's indoor and outdoor track and field.
Utah State's soccer program also won a WAC Tournament championship during the 2011-12 academic year and advanced to its first-ever NCAA Tournament.
Fresno State won the WAC's Commissioner's Cup in 2012 with 79.75 points, followed by Idaho (74.25), New Mexico State (69.75), Utah State (66.25), Hawai`i (62.50), San Jose State (52.75), Louisiana Tech (50.25) and Nevada (49.00).
The WAC awards its Commissioner's Cup to the school that performs the best in each of the conference's 19 men and women's championships. Points are awarded in order of finish, equal to the number of teams that participate in each sport, and are averaged between a team's regular-season finish (if applicable) and its WAC championship finish. Teams that do not qualify for a postseason tournament due to a smaller field receive points equal to their regular-season finish. Ties are not broken but instead are averaged between the tied teams. Affiliate members are not eligible for the Commissioner's Cup, but their standings are still used for determining points.
2011-12 WAC Commissioner's Cup Standings 1. Fresno State (79.75) 2. Idaho (74.25) 3. New Mexico State (69.75) 4. UTAH STATE (66.25) 5. Hawai'i (62.50) 6. San Jose State (52.75) 7. Louisiana Tech (50.25) 8. Nevada (49.00)
2011-12 Utah State Athletic Finishes
Men --- WAC Finish (Record) Basketball --- 4th (21-16/8-6/CollegeInsider.com Tournament) Cross Country --- 1st (7th @ NCAA Regional) Football --- 2nd (7-6/5-2/Famous Idaho Potato Bowl) Golf --- 8th Tennis --- 6th (5-14/0-5) Indoor Track --- 2nd Outdoor Track --- 2nd (Individuals @ NCAA First Round)
Women --- WAC Finish (Record) Basketball --- 2nd (21-10/11-3/WNIT First Round) Cross Country --- 3rd (8th @ NCAA Regional) Gymnastics --- 5th (5-16/1-2/Individuals @ NCAA Regional) Indoor Track --- 1st Outdoor Track --- 1st (Individuals @ NCAA First Round) Soccer --- 1st (15-5-2/5-1-1/NCAA First Round) Softball --- 8th (17-36/4-17) Tennis --- 8th (10-10/2-2) Volleyball --- 4th (12-17/7-7)
Doug Hoffman is the assistant athletic director for Utah State University Athletic Media Relations.
- Source: Kyle Whittingham not being forced out...
- Amy Donaldson: South Jordan mom eyes Boston...
- Brad Rock: Silence is the wrong approach for...
- Brad Rock: Memo to Utes: Get your act together
- Bingham nearly topples undefeated Florida...
- Red and Blue Recruits: An inside look at...
- Dick Harmon: BYU starters lose 3-point range...
- Utah Jazz legend John Stockton, Weber State...
- Utah offensive coordinator Dave... 75
- Brad Rock: Bowl drama shows BYU not... 63
- Source: Kyle Whittingham not being... 45
- Hill, Whittingham meet after football... 41
- Brad Rock: Memo to Utes: Get your act... 38
- Red and Blue Recruits: An inside look... 21
- Dick Harmon: BYU starters lose 3-point... 15
- Pangos, Wiltjer lead Gonzaga to victory... 13