That one may seem risky, but I think it's true. One of your supervisor's functions is to manage expectations. He or she doesn't want to promise their own boss that a project is going to get done by a certain date, then fail to deliver. While it's important to push yourself, you also need to be realistic about what you can accomplish.
— Your calendar. The release suggests blocking out your schedule when you need to attend to personal activities or errands and letting your manager know in advance. "That way, you'll have the time already built into your day."
My team is great about letting me know when they have appointments or other personal events that will require them to be late or otherwise out of the office, and that does make it much easier for me to plan.
— How to unplug. "As much as possible, set aside times when you can cut the tether with the office," the release said. "Try to avoid checking work email and list an alternate contact in your out-of-office message."
This is always a great idea. While it can be hard setting aside your smartphone when you're used to checking it constantly at work, I guarantee you — and your family — won't regret it if you do.
I'd be interested in your take on this topic. What is your greatest source of stress in the workplace? If it is work-life balance, what have you done to alleviate the problem? Have any of the tips from Accountemps worked for you?
Let me know, and I'll share some of your responses in a future column.
- Better than a raise: The smallest thing you...
- WestJet airline video goes viral as Santa...
- The Grand America and the Flower Patch: Once...
- University of Utah Health Care's AirMed puts...
- Companies make CEO changes in U.S. and Canada
- Utah website designed to make sending...
- Leavitt stresses importance of allies, alliances
- The American Dream is still alive for 20...
- The American Dream is still alive for... 11
- Better than a raise: The smallest thing... 10
- System failure to blame for delayed... 9
- Leavitt stresses importance of allies,... 8
- Cedar Hills to require business... 5
- WestJet airline video goes viral as... 3
- Companies make CEO changes in U.S. and... 3
- Healthy jobs report a good sign for... 2