OREM, Utah -- Utah Valley University will play for its third-straight Great West Conference Tournament championship on Saturday at 2:30 p.m. MT against the winner of Friday night’s Houston Baptist/North Dakota contest. The game can be heard on 97.5 FM and WolverineGreen.com.
The 27th-ranked Wolverines (46-12), the tournament’s top seed, reached the title game by defeating NYIT (17-10), Houston Baptist (9-8) and North Dakota (15-4).
Utah Valley enters Saturday having won 39 of its last 40 games, including seven straight, in a season that has included a 32-game winning streak.
In the win over NYIT, Alex Exon had four hits to pace an 18-hit night. A day later, against Houston Baptist, the Wolverines trailed most of the game and trailed 8-7 entering the bottom of the ninth but scored twice to earn the win. Sean Moysh had the game-tying sacrifice fly before an error allowed Jake Rickenbach to score the winning run.
On Thursday night, in the winner’s bracket final, Rickenbach had four hits, and Goose Kallunki hit his 18th home run. Preston Olson pitched 5.1 solid innings in a 15-4 win over the Fighting Sioux. Kallunki drove in five runs to push his total to a Division I-best 86.
The three-straight wins in tournament play allowed Utah Valley to have Friday off in prepping for Saturday's championship. The Wolverines will have two chances to win once in their attempt at a three-peat of both the Great West regular season and tournament title.
Clint Burgi is the assistant athletic director for sports information at Utah Valley University. For more information on Wolverine athletics, visit WolverineGreen.com.
- Fast start propels BYU past UConn, 35-10
- BYU coach, players answer questions at fireside
- Dick Harmon: Taysom Hill steals center stage...
- Dick Harmon: BYU victory comes with 4 rookies...
- High school football: Friday's roundup
- 11-year-old Salt Lake native once again...
- BYU notebook: Cougars commit a plethora of...
- Prep football: Kafentzis, 'Diggers dig out of...
- College football predictions: How will... 141
- The good, the bad and the most likely:... 63
- First steps: Utes open season with... 63
- It's go time for the Utes: Utah kicks... 57
- CBS Sports analyst predicts BYU to Big... 52
- Fast start propels BYU past UConn, 35-10 52
- Brad Rock: One thing already missing in... 50
- Brad Rock: What the Utes now know: very... 48