OREM, Utah -- Utah Valley University will play for its third-straight Great West Conference Tournament championship on Saturday at 2:30 p.m. MT against the winner of Friday night’s Houston Baptist/North Dakota contest. The game can be heard on 97.5 FM and WolverineGreen.com.
The 27th-ranked Wolverines (46-12), the tournament’s top seed, reached the title game by defeating NYIT (17-10), Houston Baptist (9-8) and North Dakota (15-4).
Utah Valley enters Saturday having won 39 of its last 40 games, including seven straight, in a season that has included a 32-game winning streak.
In the win over NYIT, Alex Exon had four hits to pace an 18-hit night. A day later, against Houston Baptist, the Wolverines trailed most of the game and trailed 8-7 entering the bottom of the ninth but scored twice to earn the win. Sean Moysh had the game-tying sacrifice fly before an error allowed Jake Rickenbach to score the winning run.
On Thursday night, in the winner’s bracket final, Rickenbach had four hits, and Goose Kallunki hit his 18th home run. Preston Olson pitched 5.1 solid innings in a 15-4 win over the Fighting Sioux. Kallunki drove in five runs to push his total to a Division I-best 86.
The three-straight wins in tournament play allowed Utah Valley to have Friday off in prepping for Saturday's championship. The Wolverines will have two chances to win once in their attempt at a three-peat of both the Great West regular season and tournament title.
Clint Burgi is the assistant athletic director for sports information at Utah Valley University. For more information on Wolverine athletics, visit WolverineGreen.com.
- Dick Harmon: BYU's Sitake wants former Cougar...
- Nick Emery's freshman season at BYU filled...
- Morning links: BYU, Virginia fans share...
- Red-hot Utah Jazz enter the danger zone
- For Star Lotulelei, Super Bowl loss leaves...
- Dick Harmon: BYU's Harvey Unga to assist...
- Rock On: Jabari's guide to Utah
- Copper Hills lives up to expectations with...
- Utes drop heartbreaker at Oregon State,... 103
- Morning links: Grading the BYU, Utah... 84
- Cold-shooting BYU loses stunner to... 67
- Dick Harmon: BYU's Sitake hired... 33
- Dick Harmon: BYU's Harvey Unga to... 28
- Cougars regrouping, going back on the... 24
- Nick Emery's freshman season at BYU... 24
- Defense, rebounding, big second half... 22