OREM, Utah -- Utah Valley University will play for its third-straight Great West Conference Tournament championship on Saturday at 2:30 p.m. MT against the winner of Friday night’s Houston Baptist/North Dakota contest. The game can be heard on 97.5 FM and WolverineGreen.com.
The 27th-ranked Wolverines (46-12), the tournament’s top seed, reached the title game by defeating NYIT (17-10), Houston Baptist (9-8) and North Dakota (15-4).
Utah Valley enters Saturday having won 39 of its last 40 games, including seven straight, in a season that has included a 32-game winning streak.
In the win over NYIT, Alex Exon had four hits to pace an 18-hit night. A day later, against Houston Baptist, the Wolverines trailed most of the game and trailed 8-7 entering the bottom of the ninth but scored twice to earn the win. Sean Moysh had the game-tying sacrifice fly before an error allowed Jake Rickenbach to score the winning run.
On Thursday night, in the winner’s bracket final, Rickenbach had four hits, and Goose Kallunki hit his 18th home run. Preston Olson pitched 5.1 solid innings in a 15-4 win over the Fighting Sioux. Kallunki drove in five runs to push his total to a Division I-best 86.
The three-straight wins in tournament play allowed Utah Valley to have Friday off in prepping for Saturday's championship. The Wolverines will have two chances to win once in their attempt at a three-peat of both the Great West regular season and tournament title.
Clint Burgi is the assistant athletic director for sports information at Utah Valley University. For more information on Wolverine athletics, visit WolverineGreen.com.
- Red and Blue Recruits: Examining the...
- Newcomers enjoy BYU hoops debut in Cougar Tipoff
- Royals Pitcher Jeremy Guthrie expresses...
- Video: Improbable final play lifts Maple...
- Live streams: 2A & 3A volleyball championship...
- Utah Jazz fall to Rockets on opening night
- Brad Rock: Jazz's biggest star still waiting...
- Felt's Facts, playoff edition: Newcomers,...
- Keeping it rolling: Utes top Trojans in... 88
- BYU needs win at Middle Tennessee to... 78
- Dick Harmon: BYU's defense needs Bronco... 59
- Misery loves company: BYU football No.... 57
- Utes lose Dres Anderson to a knee injury 51
- High school football: State tournament... 49
- BYU coach Bronco Mendenhall gives... 46
- Poppinga has endured dark times before,... 42